Two Spoke Forums banner
201 - 220 of 246 Posts

·
Mountain Tourer
719 Posts
Is what I have been eating out of.

Went out to Outback with the Son and family to find out that I could eat most of the salad and took the steak and potato home....was just too full

Is really weird for me....I used to be able to eat a bag of Cheetos (medium) at a sitting...now it takes a week. Just keep up the exercise, make it a habit to exercise every day....I still walk, as I wait for my new bike, for an hour or so with the dog and do about 4 miles a day.....my calorie counter says I am only burning a few hundred calories but I feel a heck of a lot better.

As for the rides and refueling. First you have to decide what your goal is. There is a definite relationship between HR and fat burning. If you're goal is to lose weight you need to ride long and not so hard. My doctor told me to ride/run/walk fast at least 1/2 an hour at a time. According to him, at the 60-70% HR, it takes about 25mins for your body to stop burning the sugar in the blood stream and start converting fat. An hour's ride is actually about 1/2 hour of fat burning...it is slow but sure. If you are working on fitness (70-80%) then you will need to maintain the energy level as your blood sugar will deplete and your body will need the recharge...muscles will tone but you won't lose a lot of weight. My doc told me to ride medium and steady to lose weight and throw in a few sprints to build tone...that will be my new goal when my new bike arrives on Friday.

My wife read this and reminded me that I left a few things out. One important one is how you drink with your meals. My doc also told me to drink all the water that I want to but to stop drinking about an hour before I eat. Not to drink during the meal and to wait about an hour after you eat to drink again. The idea is that the water will thin out the food that you are eating and will cause the stomach to empty faster, causing you to be hungry quicker. If you are shrinking your stomach, then you need to change your drinking habits. I used to drink several glasses of iced tea during my meal, I now take a sip or two of water if the food is very dry. I have to force myself to drink during the day as a glass of water will fill me up.

Hope this all makes sense. I am not a doctor, but was a pretty fat guy that is trying to stop being a Clydesdale....LOL

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Bounce between 197 and 202 lbs. I am happy with this and am comfortable in my skin. Do a lot of resistance exercises, so mainly muscle (at least I think so and so does my wife).

·
Mountain Tourer
719 Posts
Sounds great, keep up the good work and keep riding that bike.....

By the way, anyone know a good HR monitor that gives a decent reading as far as calories burned?

·
retromike3
274 Posts
down but not out

I checked to day on my digital scale this morning and it was showing 190 lbs. Unfortunately I think that it is caused by the loss of muscle fiber. I tried to pump up a set of car tires and boy I got winded, I also pumped up the tires on my track bike to 160 pounds which sits on my wind load simulator and got about the same response, woo.

I really need to get back to the jim and find a way to get to a place were I don't feel so threatened by the cars in my neighborhood. it really looks good outside and the weather around here is great. I think tomorrow I'm actually going to go for a little ride. I'm thinking maybe just about 8 miles.

Well it's a start.

Mike Frye

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
I checked to day on my digital scale this morning and it was showing 190 lbs. Unfortunately I think that it is caused by the loss of muscle fiber. I tried to pump up a set of car tires and boy I got winded, I also pumped up the tires on my track bike to 160 pounds which sits on my wind load simulator and got about the same response, woo.

I really need to get back to the jim and find a way to get to a place were I don't feel so threatened by the cars in my neighborhood. it really looks good outside and the weather around here is great. I think tomorrow I'm actually going to go for a little ride. I'm thinking maybe just about 8 miles.

Well it's a start.

Mike Frye
Go, Mile

Is there something particular about your neighborhood cars that is scary? Were you in an accident?

Anyway, good luck with your ride. My wife (77yo) and I did a 8 mile ride today. I am going to do 27 tomorrow if all works out.

·
Mountain Tourer
719 Posts
Hang in there Mike. It is a tough thing to do, but one idea that someone once told me is to not look at the scale but once a week. If you track it everyday, you are going to be disappointed and give up too easily (at least I do). But looking at it once a week, I can say...hey, I dropped another lb! cool.

Where you live, do they have decent bike trails or riding lanes? I got stuck on a road on Tuesday and rode about 3.7 miles in traffic with no sidewalk and no bike lane, scared the crap out of me and I won't go that way again.

Ride careful and ride often!

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Be afraid, be very afraid.

The main problem I seem to have since I moved back to the suburbs, is that cars just don't seem to see me. I'm still trying to get over the last big shunt I had, this involved me riding in the bike lane, having wearing a bright yellow reflective outfit, and having a 45w. headlight on( and it was even dark yet) and the flasher on my messenger bag. All of this you would think that some idiot would see me. Instead the gal crushed me like a bug.

In her favor, she had just gotten off work and was close to home. They had just changed the left-hand turn signal from a red light to a flashing yellow. So she thought that the light was going to change to red, and just went for it.

Couldn't of been a hit-and-run accident because there is no way after seeing the photos that she could drive away from it. ( think of a deer being hit at 50)

For that little incident I spent two weeks in ICU. I had to have two tracheotomy's, the first one the doctor used to keep me alive until they could get me into the operating room. The second one that actually did during the operation which involved about eight hours of surgery.

Turns out I was really lucky in the fact that the doctor who worked on me specialized in rebuilding legs and he just happened to be on call when I came in.

Turns out that both of my femurs now have new titanium shafts holding them together much like a shish kebab. Unfortunately I guess there's been some damage to my spine also, because since then I've lost some of the feeling in my right hand. And it's been a little while now and it doesn't seem to be coming back.( I guess it's going on three years now)

What I need to do now is build myself a new bike that I can actually get my leg over I've got some ideas planned and I think I might be able to produce such a thing. In this neighborhood the only thing worse than driving a bicycle in this climate is being stuck in a car.
(Sigh)

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,239 Posts
OP, I stay afraid of people in cars when on a bike..................so I don't play in the street. Crossing them is the extent of my like of pavement shared with motor vehicles. Glad to hear of your recovery in light of the magnitude of the incident and props on wanting to ride more. Power to you.

·
Mountain Tourer
719 Posts
Mike,

What a tough break, hope you are recovering satisfactorily. Any luck with designing or building that new bike? I know it sounds creepy a little, but have you thought about a European Ladies frame as a start? It would allow you to step over the frame a lot easier, may not be the macho bike but you could set one up about any way that you want to. Just a thought.

·
275 Posts
Ok, been a while since I've been in. Been through some tough times lately with arm surgery last September, mother passed away this April, and major house repairs and finishing up on chemo as well as all the rain we've had so far in the south. I've crept up to my highest weight of 335. Love riding but can't seem to be motivated, plus my left knee hurts when I first move it in the morning, and the right knee hurts and gives out going up any type of step or pushing on the down stroke of the pedal. Anyone have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Plus it's getting hot here in Dallas and with the added weight, I get winded real quick.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,239 Posts
Comfort bike & early morning/late evening or even night rides.....on bike paths away from cars. Isn't there a place called White Lake with some greenbelt paths around it? About 10 miles or so of riding?

·
1,945 Posts
Ok, been a while since I've been in. Been through some tough times lately with arm surgery last September, mother passed away this April, and major house repairs and finishing up on chemo as well as all the rain we've had so far in the south. I've crept up to my highest weight of 335. Love riding but can't seem to be motivated, plus my left knee hurts when I first move it in the morning, and the right knee hurts and gives out going up any type of step or pushing on the down stroke of the pedal. Anyone have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Plus it's getting hot here in Dallas and with the added weight, I get winded real quick.
I think you're in a catch 22. You won't get relief on your knees and loose weight until you loose the weight. But it's hard to exercise with the pain. I don't know what your situation is but if you can come up with some cash I would go to a personal trainer to get started and have them give you some good exercises you can do at home, and they will. Someone who works more with people with medical issues not one who likes to spend his/her time training wannabe triathletes / Ironman, types.

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Perhaps some water aerobics/swimming would be useful at this time in your progress?? Also, maybe an indoor spin bike for a bit, or spin classes with a nice instructor (I always set my own pace, no matter what they yell and scream at the class)??

Bouncing currently between 199 and 202.5 lbs

201 - 220 of 246 Posts