Two Spoke Forums banner
221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a road bike to help with weight loss. In January I was 265. I'm 5'7 so well above where I should be. I changed my diet, no sugar, soda, bread, goal of 20 carbs a day. I started eating smaller portions and noticed after a while it didn't take much to get that full sensation. Three months in I'm down to 238. My goal is 2 pounds a week. I hope to hit my goal of 180 by December 1st. I joined the strata group to keep me motivated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great thread!

So happy I found this thread! I qualify being labeled a Clyde. I am about 5' 7" and as of June15, weighed about 227. I started biking seriously when I bought a used road bike. Today I'm down to 212 and very happy with my progress.

I am 73 years old, had a kidney transplant almost ten years ago, and a knee replacement 18 months ago. My endurance was very poor but appears to be improving steadily but I lost two weeks due to cataract surgery last month.

I'm on a mission to get below 200 before Xmas which I think is reasonable.

I fear the Winter months when I won't be able to bike. Somehow, going out in subfreezing temp leaves me uh . . cold. And I hate the trainer! I may try rollers for the challenge.

I've cut back in my eating, not necessarily in what I'm eating but rather quantities. The challenge here is being a pasta and chocolate freak (not together) :).

That's the story so far . . .

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
So happy I found this thread! I qualify being labeled a Clyde. I am about 5' 7" and as of June15, weighed about 227. I started biking seriously when I bought a used road bike. Today I'm down to 212 and very happy with my progress.

I am 73 years old, had a kidney transplant almost ten years ago, and a knee replacement 18 months ago. My endurance was very poor but appears to be improving steadily but I lost two weeks due to cataract surgery last month.

I'm on a mission to get below 200 before Xmas which I think is reasonable.

I fear the Winter months when I won't be able to bike. Somehow, going out in subfreezing temp leaves me uh . . cold. And I hate the trainer! I may try rollers for the challenge.

I've cut back in my eating, not necessarily in what I'm eating but rather quantities. The challenge here is being a pasta and chocolate freak (not together) :).

That's the story so far . . .
A couple of years ago I was 227 - now, this am I was 184.5 lbs. I am 77yo. You can do it.

Exercise in the winter. Walks if you can do them, riding is possible (I live in Colorado) and enjoyable with proper clothing. Go to a spin class. Swim. Whatever - just keep moving. I swim, walk, do resistive exercises, bicycle, spin. It all counts.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,057 Posts
I hate all of you. :D

I lost about 50 lbs, got injured and sick and gained it back, lost a little and then doubled my hours at work, which much more than halved my exercise. As a result, I have been maintaining but have not been losing, and I can see losing will be a loooong, sloooow process.

I see a lot of you people use will-power----which I consider to be cheating.. :)

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Where is this FB? I am interested @ 71
We have a bunch of folks 75+, and also about 25 ladies. The oldest rider (at over 6,000 miles per year) is 83.

I don't want to be accused of trying to steal folks from this fine group. But, we are limiting membership, and have set up a process whereby we discourage trolls and folks who just want to see what is going on. We really want only active participants. If you do want to join, let me know your FB username, and I will waive the following processes for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1929492147325807/
---------------------------------------------------------------

"To keep the group from growing too fast and getting too large for me to comfortably administer, here is what currently happens when one applies to join:

A. They receive the following messages:

"Thank you The group has reached its participant goal and is full. We fill vacancies as folks leave the group. In the future, we may increase our size."

"We also do not accept folks who already belong to more than 99 groups."

"If you have a special request/comment, state so here. We appreciate your interest. " (There is room for a statement)

(Those who do make a statement here about their interest are later given preference for participation)

B. Folks who have enough interest in joining the group to continue to request participation then receive the following by messenger:

"Thank you for applying for participation in the 65 – 100+ Bicycling FB Group. Before enrolling you, we want to make sure you are 65 years old or older and know of our guidelines and can live with them. Please let us know within 24 hours. Thanks, Denver

1. Read the group posts. If you are not reading them, then this is not the forum for you, and please leave the group. We have a waiting list of other folks who would like to join and take your place.

2. Participate. There are many ways. One of the easiest is to check the “like” key as you read a post or view pictures. Someone went to a lot of work to post the text and pictures. A “thank you” by clicking on “like” is a great way to show one’s appreciation. Or, even post a short (or long) note – i.e., “Great picture, where was it taken?” or similar.

3. Offer your own experiences as you can. We love to hear from you, no matter the level or type of bicycling.

4. Refrain from negativity, one-upmanship and put downs. Although this is highly unlikely with a 65+ group, it does sometimes happen. Instead, offer positive suggestions and ideas, or say nothing. The moderator can refer you to forums that take great delight in their cleverness in offering put downs and making folks feel stupid.

5. No politics or similar."

C, If there is no response within 24 hours, they are declined. If they do respond positively, they are admitted. Most do not respond further.

This process has really helped to reduce the number of individuals admitted, while still keeping the door open for individuals who really want to participate."

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Hah ... I have you beat by a Huge margin. I weighed myself after breakfast and managed 238. I've got you beat by almost 52 pounds---you lightweight. :D

Grats.
I am currently on a very high-powered, expensive drug that can cause weight loss, if not careful. So, I am trying to go in the opposite direction. Would like to stay at 180.

221 - 240 of 246 Posts