Any Skiers here...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mikebike, Dec 22, 2009.

1. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

I live in Florida but still ski about 12 days a year.

This year Gore Mountain in NY in January and Powder Mountain in Utah in late February

I was curious about 2 things... anybody else skiing those two areas....

and

any other skiers in general

2. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I lived a few miles from Gore for a while in the early 90s, it has probably expanded a lot since then. The mountain is not huge by Rookies/Alps standards but offers a variety of steepness and a kind of wild (not overly developed) feel to it. Very dependent on weather... it can blow like crazy there and in January it can be bitterly cold... or not, hard to know what you're used to if you're a New England type skier or not, it can be icy too. All in all I liked it! Steep and narrow...Challenging. If you take a day and drive a bit to Whiteface that is really something... the Olympic runs are steep and the exposure! Don't do it if it's minus 20 and blowing though! Very cool to have on your list of places you have skied.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Utah doesn't have any snow, sorry.

4. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

Water Ski. Does that count?

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Can't ski got no snow. Scared of water so that's a no too.

6. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

I miss those days. I haven't skied since 1996.

7. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

Chh55--- I have been skiing Gore Mt. for many years (35+)-- your comments were spot on. It has gotten much bigger in the last 10 years. It is not the best snow--- but---- it is "home" so I go there a couple times each winter.

Skiing is a nice change from cycling and your cycling is good prep for good ski legs and vis versa

8. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I ski.
    Have ever sense I was a kid. Was on the CU ski team , Tried out for the '76 olympics in downhill. Didn't make it, but tried out.
    Taught intermediate ski school at Winter Park for 12 years.
    My favorite ski area is Mary Jane Colorado with Alta Utah second.
    I still get up a few times during the season, which is open here...

9. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Believe it or not...Living in ski country, I don't ski. Considering the price of a lift tickets & all accommodations if your planning a weekend outing ..I'm glad!:eek:

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I hear that. I'm about twenty minutes from Sundance, and maybe an hour from the resorts around Salt Lake.

11. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

Like the above, i'm a 1/2 an hour drive from the cairngorm mountains and don't ski and unlike most of you, i can't stand the white stuff as it stops me getting out on the bike and getting the neccessary miles in.