Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Here's my dilemma -- the positioning of the bike racks at my work are not conducive to instilling confidence in a cyclist that their bike won't get stolen while at work. I've tried to talk to them about installing new bike racks, or at least letting me bring my bike inside, to no avail.

Has anybody dealt with a situation like this? how did you work around it? I don't want to stir anything up too much, but at the same time, my company likes to broadcast to the world that they're a "green" company, but won't help with people who want to use alternative methods of commuting.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I went as far as trying to get a group of people together who felt the same way, but our complaints still fell on deaf ears. My next option was to get a cheap used bike that I think would have little value, and therefore wouldn't get stolen; but I don't feel like I should have to do that. I hope you get some good suggestions that I could use at my company.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Waht exactly is the problem with the bike racks? Are they not bolted down? Therefore making it easy for someone to steal the whole set up, rack, bikes and all?

One thing I would do, and be diplomatic about this when you do it, is make it clear that because of the inadequate bike rack situation you will hold your company responsible if anything happens to your bike.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the issue with the bike rack is that it's over 250' away from any entrance to the building, it's on the side of the building, and it's accessible by a close-by entrance to the parking lot that's open to the public.

I work on the complete other end of the building from where the bike rack is, so if something was to go down, I would be relying completely on the people on the bike rack side of the building to have enough ambition to notice something's going on, get up, exit the building (250'+ away), and go to the bike rack (another 250'+ away), hoping to catch the perp in the act.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Hey guys,
Here's my dilemma -- the positioning of the bike racks at my work are not conducive to instilling confidence in a cyclist that their bike won't get stolen while at work. I've tried to talk to them about installing new bike racks, or at least letting me bring my bike inside, to no avail.

Has anybody dealt with a situation like this? how did you work around it? I don't want to stir anything up too much, but at the same time, my company likes to broadcast to the world that they're a "green" company, but won't help with people who want to use alternative methods of commuting.
A bloody coupe is your only recourse.

But seriously, I would submit a proposal and do all of the leg work in advance. Find out how much it will cost for a new rack and get a bid. You may even be able to get some kind of a grant. Mention the benefits that your employer will reap as a result of making bicycle commuting easier for their employees--Benefits like healthier happier workers; Less crowded parking lots; Possible tax and other incentives. Check out Bikes Belong for more info.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plus the fact that it's a "comb" style bike rack, and doesn't offer any support for the bike frame, doesn't help.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
One thing I would do, and be diplomatic about this when you do it, is make it clear that because of the inadequate bike rack situation you will hold your company responsible if anything happens to your bike.
Would you say that to the building, the CEO, or the facilities guy?

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah... that might be complicated, as well. We are leasing our space in the building, so I don't know who would be in charge... the property management company? the facilities director for our company? I just don't know.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I would ask permission to contact the property manager. Make up some story about how personnel experience tells you blah blah blah I need to move the bike rack. Show that others fear for there bikes under the same circumstance, but what ever you do do not I repeat DO NOT say

"One thing I would do, and be diplomatic about this when you do it, is make it clear that because of the inadequate bike rack situation you will hold your company responsible if anything happens to your bike."

This implies law suit. No one wants that hassle. Make it more clear that you cannot afford a new bike if anything. If one of my employees even mentions a law suit they get fired a couple of weeks later. Why would I want to keep some one around that's waiting to sue the company I work for and leave me without a job? If they have a legitimate grievance that's one thing ,but threatening to sue some one over a stolen bike who did not steal it is asking for trouble.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would ask permission to contact the property manager. Make up some story about how personnel experience tells you blah blah blah I need to move the bike rack. Show that others fear for there bikes under the same circumstance, but what ever you do do not I repeat DO NOT say

"One thing I would do, and be diplomatic about this when you do it, is make it clear that because of the inadequate bike rack situation you will hold your company responsible if anything happens to your bike."

This implies law suit. No one wants that hassle. Make it more clear that you cannot afford a new bike if anything. If one of my employees even mentions a law suit they get fired a couple of weeks later. Why would I want to keep some one around that's waiting to sue the company I work for and leave me without a job? If they have a legitimate grievance that's one thing ,but threatening to sue some one over a stolen bike who did not steal it is asking for trouble.
...you mean you don't appreciate employing walking liabilities??? rude!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would find out who is responsible for the bike rack/parking lot/area the bike rack is in and go from there. Most likely it is the facilities mgr. If that did not get any results I would go to his/her boss and on up the chain of command.

BTW I've done this at a company I used to work for. But only had to go as far as the facilities. The issue was the rack was not bolted to the ground and anyone could have stolen it and all the bikes locked to it. Plus it kept getting bumped by the idiot smokers and the bikes were knocked over, not picked up. Caused a few wheels to become untrue, mine included.

I metioned this more than once to the facilities mgr then when my wheel was bent I took the repair bill from the bike shop to him and asked where do I take it to be reimburserd. I was not reimbursed but shortly after the bike rack was bolted to the concrete pad it was on, especially when he found out I encouraged others to take their repair bills to the company for reimbursement.

·
Registered
870 Posts

Implying and actually stating are 2 differant things. A company has some degree of responsibility for liablilty to personal property. Even with signs posted saying they are not responsible.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Implying and actually stating are 2 differant things. A company has some degree of responsibility for liablilty to personal property. Even with signs posted saying they are not responsible.
Good luck with that one -- outside the building, all they have to do is make sure the building doesn't fall over on your vehicle. Parking lots are pretty much liability-free zones.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I can see where you want to be right but when it comes to law suits or threats of legal action, no they aren't. Ask any boss in the world and he will tell you the same thing.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I've made some progress... I sent an e-mail to our facilities person about two weeks ago, and they just got back to me and told me they're putting in a request to get the bike rack moved to the front of the building...

The only thing they can't tell me is how long that process will take, or even how long it takes to hear back on a request...
I'll keep you posted.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Well, I've made some progress... I sent an e-mail to our facilities person about two weeks ago, and they just got back to me and told me they're putting in a request to get the bike rack moved to the front of the building...

The only thing they can't tell me is how long that process will take, or even how long it takes to hear back on a request...
I'll keep you posted.
Any updates or progress?

I can thats on good thing about the military, bike racks everywhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts