Anyone biking in Santa Fe, New Mexico?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Chris516, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

My query is because, I am planning on moving to a section of the city called 'Eldorado at Santa Fe'. I would have to go into the city to do any banking because, the bank I use, does not have a location in 'Eldorado at Santa Fe'.

I have communicated with the Sheriff of Santa Fe County and, the Police Chief for the City of Santa Fe. They both said the same thing, that the state drivers manual says, that I can ride on the road. But where the problem is, concerns the traffic. I have been told that, the Old Las Vegas Highway is much more dangerous than going on US 285. But US 285 has a 65mph speed limit.:( The OLVH looks safer because, it is a two-lane blacktop and no shoulder. Whereas, US 285 is four lanes with a grassy median a big shoulder.:(

Any advice/help with my problem, would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

2. onetimepost

onetimepost Guest

Eldorado is at least a 20 minute car ride from Santa Fe. 295 runs on I-25 for a few exits. I don't believe they allow bikes on there and if they do, I don't advise it. And if you are allowed to bike on it, the speed is 75 MPH. A lot of accidents occur in that stretch. Your only viable option is Old Las Vegas Highway. If you don't drive or have access to a car, I would double-think moving to Eldorado.

3. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

I have gone over the states traffic laws and, seemingly, it says that cyclists can go on U.S. 285 but, common sense dictates that a cyclist shouldn't.

I have been thinking about using the Old Las Vegas Highway instead.

While the judgment of using U.S. 285 is pretty consistent(Santa Fe Police Department and, cyclists I have contacted online) that, going on U.S. 285 is a bad idea, outright.

But, The consensus on the Old Las Vegas Highway is split. Some say it is far too dangerous yet, some say it is fine.

I would love to use the trails if, the wouldn't cause my racing tires to pop.

The reason for moving to Eldorado, is because my fiance's father owns a house out there(my fiance lives with her aging parents, in a house her mother owns, further into the city) and, it is the closest she can be to her parents without living with them, considering the time they have left.

4. E-Dog

E-Dog Til' the wheels fall off

Old Las Vegas Highway is pretty dangerous. I have seen bikers on that road, but I wouldn't ride it myself.
    Either way you WILL need a car living in Eldorado. sorry.....