Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not the bikes but the cars. When they are in electric mode they are hard to hear till they are right up on you. Then when they try to right cross you, you have very very little time to react. I ride counting on hearing as much as vision. We have to adapt to the fact we may not hear them coming now.

Electric cars and hybrids will cause a spike in the number of cyclist getting badly hurt because the drivers will not change, but the cyclist can hear it in time. Well its my prediction. You heard it here first. Fortunately I do not think they will be in wide numbers any time soon. The price, the technology just isn't cost effective yet, but its coming.

·
TeamBean84
3 Posts
Definitely something to watch. I had read that there were an increasing number of 'incidents' with peds and hybrind cars in parking lots, but that is only anecdotal for now.
I would much prefer to see more diesel cars, they are just as fuel efficient, and not whisper quiet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
seems like a good time for a rear view mirror.

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
I believe that some hybrid makers are going to start putting some artificial "road noise" generation into their vehicles for safety purposes.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
This kind of claptrap reminds me of the stories about the iron horses, aka cars back in the day. Wild predictions were made about their noise and other attributes causing accidents. You're whistling in the dark. Figure out how to not become a statistic by use of good safety procedures and habits.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got mirrors, but mirrors are limited. Best we can do, but they won't solve the problem. I nearly just got right crossed by a hybrid. I couldn't hear him till he was right beside me. Then he turned. The only reason I didn't get hit was I wasn't going that fast and could stand on the brakes.

Funny you mention the iron horse. There were accidents. People got hurt from horses scared by cars. A few were killed. There is a law still on the books making it illegal for a car to drive down front street to keep them from scaring the horses. Now there are cars, but no horses. Do you want the bicycle to go the way of the horse?

People have been trying to make electric cars since the day of the horse. Not really any benefit now any more than then. But be careful. They can get you hurt bad.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Yes be indeedy be careful. But adapt. Electric cars are not going away because they are mercifully quiet in comparison to gas/diesel vehicles. Education for both the driver and the cyclist is key me thinks.

By the way Mark, your response is indicative of your education and writing skills; as such it is very cleverly done and well thought out. That can be a bit rare on many forums. Especially as the writing tends to be informal. Are you a teacher?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frankly I think the electric car will go away again for a while. They make no economic sense, at least for now. The 80s had the EV 1 I think it was that didn't go anywhere. With the limited battery life, in terms of how long they last before you have to buy expensive batteries not how far you can drive, and the expense of replacing them and not to mention the environmental impact of disposal, you can buy a lot of fuel at today's prices. Will the cost of fuel goes up? Sure but how much compared to other technology. By then who knows what great idea might show up.

In the mean time, we live with it. I always used mirrors as confirming the presence of a car that I had already knew was there from headlights or sound. Where I grew up once in a while you could tell an old beater was around from the smell of the burning oil. Regardless you weren't surprised.

Education will have to be on the part of the cyclist. Awareness is our only protection. Education of drivers is like getting politicians to tell the truth just before an election. It is not going to happen. The car never loses a disagreement with a bike.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I think the hybrids should be equipped with some sort of noise generation, something inexpensive like a loudspeaker that keeps saying over and over..."look out, here I come!" or perhaps a choice between the sound of a formula 1 race car engine or that of a NASCAR engine; or how about one of a screaming jet engine, now that would attract some attention; or maybe a cat whistle; or perhaps one that the driver can actually use a mike and say things like: "watch out you dumb arse cyclist!" Just a few of my thoughts how they could correct the silent issue.

The electric car this time is not going away. Their...meaning the Feds, are going to require auto manufactures to make a certain percentage of their vehicles to be electic due to CAFE standards that in effect say: you, the auto manufacture, most meet 33 miles per gallion average by such and such a date or else. The car manufacture will then be forced to make some electric cars so their average overall fuel consumption will go down. The current standard is 27.5 fleet wide, the goal is 33 in 3 to 4 years, and even higher as the years go by. Car manufactures argued with the Feds that 33 mpg was unreasonable and would result in huge increase in car cost furthering less buyers wanting to buy their cars making it impossible for car companies to stay in business, thus the Feds gave them a way out by going with all electric cars. The all electric car would factor into the average and presto bingo they met their 33 mpg fleet average and not have to raise the price of cars substantially. So electric cars are here to stay.

By the way, I hate hybrids but not for the reason your making.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well an F1 race car wouldn't be that bad, as long as they say "Watch out!!! Michael Schumacher is about to make another intentional but instinctive move."

As far as a fed mandate, you might be right but I don't think so. IF it gets that bad, it would make more sense to just shut Detroit down and move all manufacturing outside the US. Instead of mpg, I would have hoped that safety would have been a bigger concern. You could build a car that would be virtually impossible to get killed in no matter what type of accident. Trouble is no one could afford it, no one would want it, and it would be a royal pain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts