Anyone here ride a single speed or fixed gear?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Industry_Hack, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Not as their sole bike, but in addition to their geared road bike? Just wondering if anyone trains (or plays :) ) on a single speed/fixed gear when they're not rocking a cassette.

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

My "geared" road bike consists of a formerly fixed gear bike with a SRAM S-7 hub in it but I also enjoy riding fixed. Right now it's a huge PITA to swap back and forward from fixed to IGH but soon I shall have a new bike that will run an S3X 3-speed fixed hub.

/I also have a Raleigh Detour Deluxe and a Felt Q720 that are multi-speed but neither is really a "road bike".

3. Industry_Hack

The S3X is still about two months away, last I heard.

I've noticed that there are fixed gear riders that are all into tricks, like the BMX guys, and others that build their rides up as heavy, track-style bikes, with lots of toe overlap, then ride them on the street.

But how common are lightweight fixed gear (or single speed) bikes that are just ridden like regular road bikes?

4. eaton

eaton New Member

Do S/S cross bikes like the San Jose count?

5. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I've got my old OLMO Squadra slated for an operation which will surgically remove six of her seven speeds leaving her lighter and trendier and ready for a new life. It takes fortitude to sterilize a hacksaw and actually saw off the Campagnolo derailleur eyelet but that's what I have in mind. I'm going to screw on a singlespeed (BMX) freewheel on the Campy C record hub instead of making it a real fixie, also planning on leaving both brakes on even though this is considered totally uncool. Being over 50 and understanding that I am mortal has made me so stodgy that I actually care about stopping. Remains to be seen how much use I will get out of it but I like to diddle with my bikes.

6. Industry_Hack

If you're going with a freewheel instead of fixed, you need to have at least one brake. Both would definitely be a wise choice. I never worry about being cool.

And yes, the cross bikes count. Anyone else? How many miles/week do you guys ride?

7. HandsomeRyan

Mike, (owner of BikesDirect) said his S3X equipped complete bikes just arrived in the US and should ship out soon. I've decided to hold out and buy it as a hub only to build onto a bike myself. Looks like as you say, i have another couple months of wait ahead of me.

My fixed gear geometry is track-ish compared to some road bikes but it has no toe overlap. I run 28mm tires (the largest size that will fit). I've never been into BMX (so no tricks) and i can rarely even trackstand the thing. It's solidly a road bike.

8. Industry_Hack

I'm looking forward to that hub too.

I guess I was looking for someone else to see their single speed or fixed as a road bike that happens to only have one gear, rather than a variant of a track bike. My interest isn't so much in improving my strength as a roadie as it is training to get back on the BMX track. To that end, most rides will probably be under 40 miles, and include hills and intervals.

9. HandsomeRyan

Build a FG (track or not) with a gearing of 100+ gear inches. This will get you in shape for whatever you are training for!

[​IMG]

10. Industry_Hack

11. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Here is my single speed ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's an old Murray that I got at a garage sale for $10. It's not as nice as the photos make it appear. I figured it's worth $10 as a studio prop. I'll probably tear it down and repaint it. Maybe make it one of those urban chic fugly paint schemes.

12. eaton

eaton New Member

Mine's an almost stock San Jose. I replaced the tires and saddle. I ride it about 50 miles per week, most of that commuting.

I've got the same model Murray too except mine's rustier.

13. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Any idea what year yours is?

14. eaton

eaton New Member

I'd guess '90s but it's just a guess. My wife got it at a thrift store for $20. It's got the same full bar padding on it as yours.

15. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I have three singlespeeds, one road and two mountain. I ride mostly singlespeed, but do occasionally ride with a full cassette of gears. As a mater of fact, I'm trying to figure out what to ride today. The trails are still a little sloppy from three days of rain. Maybe a road ride or the tow path along the Potomac River. If we ride road, I'll probably ride a geared bike.

16. Industry_Hack

I've got two bikes, one is a road bike replacement, the other purely fixed. They seem so different, I can't see posting about them in the same forum, other than to compare them to highlight the differences.

17. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I don't own any purely fixed gear bikes, but my Surly has a flip flop hub and track cog. I usually run it on the freewheel side except when I'm drinking PBR.

18. Industry_Hack

OK, it has a flip-flop, but I'm pretty much leaving it on the fixed side.

19. HandsomeRyan

Off-topic question to my fellow Marylander- Do they sell PBR Light in MD? I have yet to see it anywhere and it's my favorite beer to drink when I'm A) desperately poor B) wanting to get inebriated C) still expressing concern that drinking a full-calorie beer will go straight to my hips.

[​IMG]

20. Industry_Hack

You do know that the calories come from the alcohol, right?