Two Spoke Forums banner

Anyone ride a Recumbent?

21K views 64 replies 35 participants last post by  starhawk 
#1 ·
Anyone on here have a recumbent bike? I think they are the least popular form of cycling.....

I would like to see some pics of some pimped out recumbents!

#2 ·
Yep, I'm bent! I ride a Bacchetta Corsa and participate in brevets and ultra cycling events. I enjoy, in a sadistic sort of way watching DF riders grab their crotch when getting off their bikes knowing that I'm tired and my muscles are sore, but I don't have neck, hand, back or crotch issues to deal with.

#4 ·
Yea, I am also bent. I rde a Bacchetta Gyro about 250 miles a week. I also have a Cannondale Killer V mtb that I ride from time to time, but the bent is the distance machine bar none. I can ride 100 mi on the bent and be no worse for wear, and I am a very old guy. I had a Cannondale r2000 that I just sold. I do not miss it.

#8 ·
Anyone on here have a recumbent bike? I think they are the least popular form of cycling
Not as much anymore. We are growing at a record pace. More people are discovering the benefits of recumbents bikes (or trikes in my case).

I'm scared of laying down while balancing...... I'm suprised no one has made a hammock seat version
Try a recumbent TRIKE then! No balance issues there.
And it's like driveing a go-kart around while sitting in a beach chair.
No Pain!

#9 ·
Bent

After 4 months flat out with an upper back injury and so desperate for exercise that I bought a recumbent exercise bike I am now converted and am searching for a recumbent road bike ASAP.
By the way bent has a totally different meaning where I come from.

trog:D

#11 ·
I'm scared of laying down while balancing...... I'm suprised no one has made a hammock seat version
two-wheeled 'bents can be a bit frustrating. either you can do it, or you can't. many turn to recumbent trikes to eliminate that problem, or in my case be able to carry more during long tours.

and there are several recumbent makers that offer the mesh/hammock-seat in place of the more common 'clam-shell' seat. AnthroTech Trike is one example for trikes. HP Velotechnik - Products (recumbent) has some models of two-wheelers that can use the mesh seat.

#12 ·
trog, with that back injury, you might want to consider a recumbent trike. that way, you won't need to worry about balance, and can enjoy the ride and the resulting exercise.

depending on where you are, it might be possible to find a recumbent trike dealer within reasonable driving distance that can let you take a few models out for a spin to see which one suits you the best. if you are having trouble finding a dealer, let us know what town you are in and we can post some links/contacts near you.

#13 · (Edited)
least popular only because people have either not looked for them, don't know they exist, or they have bad impressions of them due to mis-information. but that is changing steadily! there are at least a dozen decent recumbent manufacturers around the world doing fairly good business in light of the growing desire to ride more comfortably (and in some cases faster) than the 'conventional' bike.

for pics all i can offer up are my galleries of recent SPEZI expos in Germany:
Picasa Web Albums - digitalmouse - SPEZI 2008
Picasa Web Albums - digitalmouse - SPEZI 2009 Expo
Picasa Web Albums - digitalmouse - trikes and ve... - various pics
Picasa Web Albums - digitalmouse - LeitraTech - my own little Frankenstein project, converting a Anthrotech trike into a velomobile, using an old Leitra nose fairing.

almost forgot the videos!
[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/2883246"]http://www.vimeo.com/2883246[/ame]
[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2105127/digital_mouse_test_rides_new_recumbent_trike/"]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2105127/digital_mouse_test_rides_new_recumbent_trike/[/ame]

trike in the first video can be seen here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jimm.pratt/SPEZI2009Expo#5332816935836549186

#14 ·
Recumbent

My wife started riding my dad's recumbent after giving birth to our son and told me "I don't know if I'm coming back to our tandem". Well five recumbents later we love them. I have everything from a understeer to a trike and a Bachetta for my fast riding fix.
I was a died in the wool racer and swore I would never be caught dead on a recumbent.....oh, well, the comfort wins me over and I don't give up anything on speed but the ability to climb as well.

Still have all the old bikes collecting dust, but the "bents" now get most of the "saddle" time.

kb

#16 ·
Is it possible to rent one anywhere for a while to get used to it?
Where are you located?

I know of a place in florida that rents and sells recumbents and a place in NY state that is quite good for test rides.

I own 3 recumbents, a Toureasy, Longbikes Slipstream, and a Greenspeed GTE. I wish I would have tried the GTE trike when I looked at the Toureasy.

Jeff

#21 ·
Greetings,
I ride an Sun EZ3 trike. Not too low to the ground and rather heavy (many recumbent trikes are!), but due to a chronic back problem, it keeps me riding. My only wish is that I would have waited and purchased the '09 Aluminum frame set. Other than that I really enjoy it.

#23 ·
Get to a shop!

For those of you that have not tried a recumbent bike, my suggestion is to get to the closest shop that carries a lot of variety. High racers, low racers, trikes, LWB, SWB. I think there are more recumbent designs than anything I have ever seen.

It's an absolute blast, and despite back surgery, I'm riding like crazy!

Lisa :)

#24 ·
tricke-out recumbent trike

TrekTrey - take a look at this site for about the most tricked-out recumbent trike I've ever seen, goes by the name of "Silk";his host is amazing:
Catrike 700 [Silk] « Cycling Experiences…
My son and I just bought matching Catrike "Pocket" models a couple of weeks abot after probably 40 hours of research between us. Take a look at their web site here:
Catrike Performance Trikes
They are a mid-price range manufacturer, made in Florida. We've been extremely pleased with our purchases thus far. If you want more info directly, contact me at my email address: gryjacobson@yahoo.com

jakecat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.