Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing conflicting information on whether or not you should go up a size when buying Castelli gloves. Some say that the size chart is not right and you should order one size bigger than you wear in other gloves. Others say the chart is right. Still others say they are very tight at first, but stretch as you break them in. I'm considering some Castelli's, but I'm debating the size now. Any experiences?

Thanks!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I ride naked.

Seriously though, you need to try some on. I own all sorts of gloves, and there is no logic or consistency to sizing, and since some of us have longer fingers, or fatter fingers, it really comes down to individual preference.

By the way, stick with a brand if you find one that fits well. I've yet to find a 2XL that fits well from palm to fingertip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Are they European. If so I've bought shoes on line and the "American" sizes posted are always to small. Live and learn. 13s are like 11s

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Rugged. I should have followed up. I actually bought another pair of the Capos. I'm not super stoked about the color, but I knew the quality and fit would be good.

I've also heard that Castelli's run small, but in regards to the two pairs of their bibs that I have, I can say that a large Castelli is much roomier than a large Giordona Forma Red or Assos FI.13.

I am now debating a new winter glove, however. Something for temps 20 F (-7 C) and below. Mainly concerned about warmth and keeping the wind off. Water resistance is not an issue. Any recommendations?

·
hardtail hardass
45 Posts
I've used a number of different gloves for winter riding. I have a pair of lobster style ones that are super warm for the coldest days MEC Nanu Cycling Lobster Gloves (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available. I've tried these ones Barrier Lobster Glove - Pearl Izumi which seem to be a great all round cold weather glove and I had an older version of these Outdoor Research M's Gripper Gloves? which were great because the blocked the wind and kept me warm while still allowing a lot of breathability so I didn't end up sweaty.

The lobster style is probably the warmest, but a little awkward on my road bike. Anything with a nylon shell face fabric will cut the wind very well, but reduce breathability. My favourite cold weather glove has to be a thicker fleece with Goretex Windstopper. They will breath better than something with padded insulation, but still cut the wind. The problem with gloves is that everyone has slightly different needs. My hands don't get too cold, so I can get away with a thinner option.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
I have a pair of GORE windstoppers with gripper dots on the palms, I've had them for almost 10 years and they haven't worn out.. More amazing is that I haven't left them anywhere!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I received a thick pair of wool gloves that smell of lanolin. They are the best hand protection in winter I've ever used. Have ridden in temps down to 27F so far and have no issues. Normally my hands suffer with any modern fibre. Problem is local farm dogs following me. Had a pair of Corgis try to get ahead and herd me home. Got a bit sticky not running the buggers over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts