Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now I ride an ancient department store Schwinn for just about everything. My front shifter broke recently and I've had to take the front deraileur and shifter off until so I can ride the bike until I replace it (why are shifters so expensive on the internet anyway?)

It all got me thinking that maybe it would benefit me to make the switch to a singlespeed. I like the idea of there being less stuff to break and less stuff to clean. I'm from Oregon - winter riding isn't uncomfortable, but it sure is messy.

I'm always in the top 21st gear anyway, standing up and pedaling on hills rather than shifting. The exception is long rides in the summer, but I figure I could just save up for a nicer road bike or touring bike. With a single speed to abuse during the offseason I wouldn't mind spending more money on it.

Is there anything I should know about them before I buy?

I had one question if anyone can answer it: can I get a single speed that has a freewheel? the only part about a single speed I think I wouldn't like would be not being able to coast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I laughed if nothing else :)

My current bike has vertical dropouts which can't be converted to SS/fixed, or so says the LBS. My bike is in pretty good working order, so I figured I could sell it on craigslist or something and get the cash towards a low-end single speed.

2009 SE Racing 700c Draft Single Speed Road Bike - Spin Doctor Pro Bike Build

this bike is pretty much exactly what I think I want. Steel frame/fork for durability, flatbars for city riding/comfort. I get the impression it was designed for race training but it looks like it would suit my needs perfectly. Price can't be argued with, either.

I figure buying would let me upgrade the quality of my parts and reduce weight (my bike weighs about 35lbs as is)

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
For roughly the same price (there must be a shipping cost for the Draft) you can get a cro-mo Windsor The Hour from Bikesdirect.com. It's a much better bike.

·
Missing Link
15 Posts
I second what ol' Hetfield is saying. Don't get a Draft.

We've got one at the shop where I work and while it's not completely horrible, it's nothing I'd ever recommend. It's heavy with low end components and the hi ten steel frame isn't really worth putting any upgrade money into.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was just a little curious on the technicals of it :)

"The Hour" didn't appear to come with a freewheel, but I liked the other windsor. Just wish they came with a wider flatbar rather than road handles, I like those better for city riding

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I second what ol' Hetfield is saying. Don't get a Draft.

We've got one at the shop where I work and while it's not completely horrible, it's nothing I'd ever recommend. It's heavy with low end components and the hi ten steel frame isn't really worth putting any upgrade money into.
Okay, thanks for the information, i'll keep it in mind when I'm shopping :)

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I think it comes fixed, with a freewheel too, but not installed. Could be wrong, since I got mine many months ago. Also check out the Dawes SST. Bullhorns and two brakes. It's got your name all over it.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I would go to your LBS and try a few off the shelf version out and find the gear ratio that works for you. I've owned some single speeds where the gearing is not at all what I need in a single speed. Either too low or too high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it comes fixed, with a freewheel too, but not installed. Could be wrong, since I got mine many months ago. Also check out the Dawes SST. Bullhorns and two brakes. It's got your name all over it.
What I'm understanding from the bikesdirect page is that it is a flip flop hub with a fixed cog - the other side of the hub is threaded to accept a freewheel or fixed cog but it doesn't come with it.

Whats bothering me most about "The Hour" is it doesn't come with brakes. "Clockwork" appears to be the off-track equivalent to "The Hour", it comes with both front and rear brakes and has a freewheel instead of a fixed cog. For $20 more it seems like the better deal for me, since I won't have to buy brakes or a freewheel that way. The parts all look similiar, although I don't have the best eye for that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts