Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an aquacell double container bottle to use on my aero bars. I must it has good and bad things about it.

Good things:

1. It carries more water than a conventional bike bottle (about 1.5L total within two containers).

2. It fairly easy to drink from while on the aero bar position, assuming you don't cut the straws to short. I would suggest not cutting them at all on the first ride until you know what suits you best. Personally for me, not having to reach down to grab the water bottle is a big plus, as in a race where you have to keep up with the group a few seconds that you slow down may mean losing the peloton. Also, since it's easy to drink, you drink more often, rather than a larger gulp when you are really thirsty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bad things:

1. The smaller container tends to pop up as it floats inside the larger container. This can be a real pain in the ass, especially when you push it back down, and water splashes everywhere. If you have Gatorade, then you'll be sticky for the rest of the ride. The best way to fix this is to use a rubber band to hold the container down.

2. Fastening the bottle with the rubber bands that come with the bottle is easier said than done. I snapped both of mine on the first day. The solution I have found that seems to work best is to use an old bicycle tube cut to about 3/5s of the original circumference. Tie a knot and you can wrap the bottle once from above and once from below. And it should stay in place. You can stretch the rubber tube to your heart's content; it won't snap. You can even hide the knot in the food between the upper and lower sections of the bottle so it doesn't look so crude.

3. Splashing. Liquid tends to splash when the bottle is full, even with those black caps securely fastened in place. Not a problem if you are carrying water, but Gatorade will make you and the bike all sticky. I tried to use the yellow mesh, but that doesn't help all that much. Anyone out there have any ideas? Perhaps a better way to use the mesh?

4. Water beats up way to fast. Because the bottle is not insulated, and because I live in south Florida where riding in the 90s oF is the norm, the water doesn't stay cold for more than 15 minutes. I would like to freeze the water bottle with the two containers full, but I'm afraid that the expanding ice would damage he bottle, especially because there is very little expansion space for the lower part of the larger container when the small container is in place. Has anyone tired this? I would love to know the results before I try it. Let me know.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts