Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually he did 2.5 years of research on the subject. Some of his numbers seem pretty solid. Some are a stretch; like correlating helmet campaigns to decreasing number of riders. I do believe we are subjected to fear constantly for commercial purposes. Personally I can't recall a single time in all the years I've been riding that I can say a helmet has made a difference. And that includes being hit two times by cars.

·
Banned
400 Posts
perhaps but that doesn't mean helmets are pointless. they serve a purpose and work. yeah you may never fall or hit your head but you never know and it'll there just in case something happens cause all it takes is one bad hit and you can really get injured. in a car you have seatbelts and airbags and metal and stuff around you to absorb impacts, on a bike there's nothing to protect you. there's only the helmet.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I don't think helmets are pointless altogether. I'm simply wondering exactly how effective and necessary they really are. One other factor that Mikael didn't point out is the effect that safety equipment and devices have on our behavior. It's been shown that the more safety equipment we have protecting us the more risks we are willing to take. I could see how not wearing a helmet would cause me to not take certain risks and would cause me to be much more aware which would, in itself, reduce the risk of even needing a helmet. if we look at places like Copenhagen where 30+% of people bike over drive we don't see an epidemic of brain injuries. Do a google image search for "Copenhagen biking" and notice how many people are wearing helmets. Very surprising.

And yes, all it takes is one time to kill you but the same can be said for being in your own home. Remember Gary Coleman? What I would like to know is what are the odds of someone actually dying from a head injury while bicycling and how does that compare to other activities? It's actually very funny because when friends rag on me for carrying a concealed weapon because it only takes the one time I would need it, they call me paranoid. LOL!

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
maybe on the road it is not that big of a deal... but i would never mtb without a helmet. that is just stupid. of course you could just ask Fabio Casartelli if you should wear a helmet... i am sure he has an opinion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Even on the road it can be hazardous without a helmet. Maybe it's not going to be a crash that will result in BFT to the head... I was riding in Northern Virginia and someone tried to hit me with a bottle at 60... so it's for those "just in case" or "better safe than sorry" moments.

Brad

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe on the road it is not that big of a deal... but i would never mtb without a helmet. that is just stupid. of course you could just ask Fabio Casartelli if you should wear a helmet... i am sure he has an opinion.
I would not mtb without a helmet either. And I sure as hell wouldn't be coming down Col de Portet d'Aspet in a pack without a helmet. But popping down to Trader Joes to pick up a few things? Meh.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I would not mtb without a helmet either. And I sure as hell wouldn't be coming down Col de Portet d'Aspet in a pack without a helmet. But popping down to Trader Joes to pick up a few things? Meh.
I've said it before - until the day comes when we get to pick the exact day and time a car is going to hit us, comments like the one above makes no sense.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
I've crushed in the back of one of my own helmets... instead of the back of my head.

Seen one split in two. (It was the only day my friend ever wore a helmet)
Seen another one get a pointy rock about 1" into the foam. (rider still blacked out, but I didn't carry out body)

Helmets are like seatbelts... in all my time driving I haven't ever needed it. But to drive without one wouldn't be terribly bright.

p.s. helmet for children are 100% essential. Kids fall all the time, are completely unaware of cars, have not psychologically developed a sense of risk, and younger kids have not fully developed skulls etc.
p.p.s. So we as adults should set an example regardless

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
An acquaintance suffered traumatic brain injury in a very low speed bike fall two years ago. He was in intensive care for over a month and rehab for 6 months. He still has serious problems, including occasional blackouts and continuous balance issues. The ER doc said he likely would not have survived without the helmet.

Another friend was on a fast downhill when he had to take evasive action to avoid some careless walkers. He lost control of the bike and slid into a guardrail head first. He was unconscious for 4 days, in intensive care for over a week, and his doc said the helmet saved his life.

A couple of years ago, I took a slow speed fall and whacked my head hard enough to be very glad I was wearing a helmet.

Statisticians may dismiss all that as anecdotal, but it is sufficient to convince me to always wear a helmet. They're not designed to protect against a 30 mph crash with a car, but they can save you from becoming a vegetable in a lot of circumstances.

As to whether or not YOU should wear a helmet ... I'm not the bike police. Everyone has to assess their own tolerance for risk and deal with the consequences. That said, I would advise members of my own family to wear a helmet.

·
12,350 Posts
For folks that don't understand just how little it takes, read this. Al was riding his BMX bike in a parking lot, and a car back into him, knocking him over and causing him to strike his head on the ground. No high speed impact, no being thrown in the air. Just knocked over.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
hack, thanks for sharing. earlier in this thread i posted very sarcastically about this subject.

"maybe on the road it is not that big of a deal... but i would never mtb without a helmet. that is just stupid. of course you could just ask Fabio Casartelli if you should wear a helmet... i am sure he has an opinion."

after reading the blog i wanted to clarify. i believe in helmets, they save lives and if you know when you will crash, you are one in a million. a helmet has never saved my life, but i never ride without one. who knows when you will crash? i have descended down cliff faces and landed six foot drops, but i have ate crap on a curb. as earlier said by others it is your choice, but i have always liked the saying....
"be an organ donor, ride without a helmet."

·
12,350 Posts
My most spectacular crashes have always been low-speed affairs. And while I've never bumped my head, I certainly appreciated having my helmet on at the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's a saying that we use in the Army... "it's funny cause it's true..."

·
8 Posts
For years..all thought the 80's riding in traffic in New York City... I never wore a helmet...main reason...the helmets were big and bulky, and because of the bulk, it seemed to limit my view, turned when I looked behind me. But now these days, I always wear a helmet, it's very light, and I forget that I have it on. It would be good to know that was going to protect me, if I needed it and live up to expectations. So I'm wearing mine every ride.. In the speech Andersen gave I do agree with a lot that he said about fear, and people just making money off it.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As to whether or not YOU should wear a helmet ... I'm not the bike police. Everyone has to assess their own tolerance for risk and deal with the consequences. That said, I would advise members of my own family to wear a helmet.
In the end this is all I care about. As long as agreed upon concepts and conventions, weather they are true or not, do not becomes compulsory I'm all for it. I personally wear my helmet every time I ride...cause my mirror is on it. I have very little faith in it's ability to actually save my life.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the speech Andersen gave I do agree with a lot that he said about fear, and people just making money off it.
That was the biggest thing I got out of it. Society is so fear based. I don't plan on spitting in Fate's eye and dying in some jackass type stunt but I'll be damned if I wear pads a helmet to walk down the street just because "ya never know".

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
That was the biggest thing I got out of it. Society is so fear based. I don't plan on spitting in Fate's eye and dying in some jackass type stunt but I'll be damned if I wear pads a helmet to walk down the street just because "ya never know".
totally agreed, i liked the video and think too many people fear things they should not.... my mom stresses about me riding in traffic, but i won't drive because i feel like the car is too big to control plus i am not trusting in the mechanics of it. plus i am cheap and not willing to pay for it the tags or gas.

i honestly feel safe on my bike. i take precautions but worry little about being run over. thank goodness she(mom) has no idea how many more risks i take on my bike on trails in the hills than i do on the way to work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts