Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals now I know this seems like a real newbie question but, I have never used to clips in all the years I have been riding. I would like to know if you really do gain anything with these I won't go to clipless pedals though as I use my bike for a little off roading. The shoes I wear though are work type leather boots as I tend to hike around at certain times of my ride. These are the clips I am toying with. VO Deep Half Clips - Toe Clips, Straps, & Shoes - Accessories

·
retromike3
274 Posts
half a clip is better than none

I am not a big fan of "clip-less" pedals. on my road bike I use mountain bike clips with two fingers and a really long toe strap. That way I can use more of my leg mussels and not be restricted to wearing just my cycling shoes. I prefer New Balance Cross trainers because the bottom is more like a hiking boot.

I have a friend who uses half clips and swears by them and he's much faster than I am up the hills(I also out weigh him by 30 pounds)

IMHO if you can use more leg mussels and at lest you "spin" more is better than not. It just makes sense. I say go for it and use em.

Mike-working on his Fred Zen-Frye

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals, I have a hard time riding without them! Your SSSOOOO much more efficient, as you can pull up with one leg and push with the other. I find them easier on the knees as well. I like the Egg Beaters specifically because they are easy to lock into and easy to come out of in a hurry if something goes wrong, plus they look stinking cool:)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Clip less is for me unless I am off road. What I have is an SPD pedal that has clips on one side and flats on the other so if I want to ride the bike without cycling shoes I can

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
One word, YES! I can't keep my feet on flat pedals anymore. I like spd-sl yellow cleats.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard good things about Delta Strapless Toeclips, which might be less likely to get bent in your offroad riding, but I haven't tried them myself yet.

Thanks Mate more looking at the steel ones for the look to they fit the look of my bike better. Think more fire type trails for off roading not so much the crazy stuff.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Clip less is for me unless I am off road. What I have is an SPD pedal that has clips on one side and flats on the other so if I want to ride the bike without cycling shoes I can
I installed a set of these several weeks ago and love um!

·
retromike3
274 Posts
something else to try

The ones you might look up could be "Power Straps". They are a a single strap of nylon that goes diagonally across the peddle. You have to angle your foot in, but when you "straighten" your foot the strap bears down. I've only used them to try them out but they seem really good compromise. You still have to remember to twist your foot "heal out" or you're going to look very silly at the stoplight. They probably don't work as well as a good set of lipless petals, but you can still use your walk around shoes and after their set, up you don't have to worry about reaching down to released them.

I set up my next-door neighbor Nate with a set of those. He used to be a downhill mountain bike racer back in the day. Now he installs computer systems and home theater setups for the very wealthy out here in silicon Forest.

I myself use a full old-school mountain bike clip that has an extra long tow strap and two fingers coming up from the peddle. The tow strap I generally leave fairly well loose, but once I stick my foot in the ped's they are fairly well secure. they almost give me the same direct connect feeling as a set of spuds but it's with some shoes that are comfortable standing all day in. The only bikes that I don't have the setup is my BMX bike and my motorized bicycle.

I still have a pair of Mavic SPD's and a generic clone that do a great job of gathering dust in shelf. Maybe this winter all dig them out and use them on my fixed gear for riding rollers.

mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed a set of these several weeks ago and love um!
Hi,

I bought a set of SPDs today and a pair of riding shoes to mount them on. I installed them this afternoon and put the clips on the shoes. I rode it about a mile on country roads. This was my first experience with clips.

I loosened the clip springs about 2 turns so I could more easily get unclipped, no, I haven't fell over,,,,yet. Note: Plan your stops in advance.

I discovered that I have unused groin muscles and now, they feel abused. There will be a new training curve.

When I walk on a hard surface, the cleats come in contact with the surface. I think I'm going to slip and bust my butt.

Finally my question, is there a shoe / cleat combination that is totally recessed?
I had hoped to be able to ride to a location and be able to walk with some comfort without having to change shoes.

Bob H.

·
tall old member
1,305 Posts
Hi,

When I walk on a hard surface, the cleats come in contact with the surface. I think I'm going to slip and bust my butt.

Finally my question, is there a shoe / cleat combination that is totally recessed?
I had hoped to be able to ride to a location and be able to walk with some comfort without having to change shoes.

Bob H.
What kind of shoes did you buy? Road shoes? If you get mountain bike shoes the spd cleat should be completely recessed. I forgot my running shoes one time when I showed up for a mini-triathlon and actually ran the two miles in my mountain bike shoes, it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What kind of shoes did you buy? Road shoes? If you get mountain bike shoes the spd cleat should be completely recessed. I forgot my running shoes one time when I showed up for a mini-triathlon and actually ran the two miles in my mountain bike shoes, it wasn't too bad.
longjohn,
The box sez Garneau Multi Rx. From what you said, it must be a road shoe, the sole is fairly smooth. I had been running Diamond BMX pedals with adjustable pins. I thought that if I couldn't live with the cleat pedals, the shoe platforms would bind well on my old pedals. I likely made a bad chioce in shoes. The sales guy is a roadie so, he recommended what he liked.

Bob H.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
longjohn,
The box sez Garneau Multi Rx. From what you said, it must be a road shoe, the sole is fairly smooth. I had been running Diamond BMX pedals with adjustable pins. I thought that if I couldn't live with the cleat pedals, the shoe platforms would bind well on my old pedals. I likely made a bad chioce in shoes. The sales guy is a roadie so, he recommended what he liked.

Bob H.
BobH, I'm sorry I didn't mention this in my initial post, but MTB shoes are the way to go. I'm guessing the sales guy pushed you towards a road shoe because technically road shoes are more efficient due to their more rigid construction, but the trade off of not being able to walk around off the bike isn't worth it for me.

MTB shoes are more or less just a hiking shoe with cleats recessed in the bottom. Occasionally walking around I'll hear a cleat scrape the ground, but my shoes are about 10 years old so that probably has something to do with it.

Performance Bicycle is having a sale through today and one things that I saw Friday while in the store was these: Forté Traverse MTB Shoes for $40. I almost bought these, and would have except the ones I have still have life left in them.

·
tall old member
1,305 Posts
Bob, over time you will probably discover what type of shoe and pedal works best for you. I started out with spd pedals on both my mountain bike and my road bike. I thought it would be easier switching from one bike to the other. After a couple years I switched to a Look type road pedal on my road bike. It's not a problem going from one bike with spd pedal to one with road pedals. I used my mountain bike turned commuter for most of my everyday riding. I just use the road bike for charity rides and group rides where there really isn't any walking around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Poolie and longjohn,

I went to the website of the company that I bought the Garneau shoes and the Shimano PD-A530 pedals from. The website stated that the cleats are totally recessed into the sole. Not! my cleats hang down about 1/32 of an inch.

I rode about 4 miles today using the shoe / SPD combination. I felt better about it, it is easier to get out of the pedals than it is to click into them. I really don't like feeling the cleats when I walk.

Questions,,, Are there lower profile cleats available? Can I modify the cleats by grinding down the ends, will I lose the entry ramp and not be able to seat them into the pedals?

Returning the shoes and pedals are an option, but not a very good one. I dislike returning anything. Has anybody got a plan "B"?

Bob H.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts