Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and in the process of trying to get two bikes road worthy. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if bike tubes are interchangable. I have two tubes that are 26 x 2.50 and I want to put them on a bike that is 26 x 2.00, Short on cash so I am trying to use these tubes if I can.

Thanks..Greg

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Greg, welcome to the forums! There are plenty of members on the site that will help you with all your bike-related questions. Heck, even questions not related to cycling. :)

The tubes may fit, but that's probably a bad idea. By design, most tubes fit across a range of tires, such as 1.9"-2.10", or 2.3"-2.5". While some guys use a smaller (possibly lighter) tube than their tire was designed for, in order to save weight, it doesn't really work in the opposite direction. That tube will not be able to fully inflate to the optimum size, and may get bunched in the tire somewhere.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Greg, welcome to the forums! There are plenty of members on the site that will help you with all your bike-related questions. Heck, even questions not related to cycling. :)

The tubes may fit, but that's probably a bad idea. By design, most tubes fit across a range of tires, such as 1.9"-2.10", or 2.3"-2.5". While some guys use a smaller (possibly lighter) tube than their tire was designed for, in order to save weight, it doesn't really work in the opposite direction. That tube will not be able to fully inflate to the optimum size, and may get bunched in the tire somewhere.
What he said.

·
215 Posts
Also keep in mind that a slightly smaller tube will allow you to install a tire better, the tube stays out of the way better then a larger tube. Just don't carry that to the extreme.

But the tube in question will work, it's just a tad larger.

·
215 Posts
Keep in mind with a larger tube it can sometimes be a pain to keep the tube from folding, or bunched as IndustryHack said inside the tire after you put in. You should inflate the tube just enough to give it a tad of shape. Then be careful you don't pinch the tube between the rim and the bead of tire. Both of these problems are common when using slightly larger tubes, and beginners struggle with this.

When you can it's wise to invest in some new tubes like 26x1.75-1.95 is idea size, but those you have should hold up fine and work as long as your careful about not bunching the tube or trapping it between the rim and the bead of the tire. Do your best to try to install the tire by hand without the use of tools. You Tube has a slew of videos on how to install a tire if you think you might have difficulty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went ahead and thought I would try to see if swapping the tubes would work and It seems fine. I was careful to make sure that I didn't bunch the tube and got it put back together, blew the tire up and everything seems fine. Thanks again to everyone for there help.

Thanks...Greg

·
215 Posts
I did forget to mention something when blowing up the tire with a larger tube. You should air the tire up to about 20 pounds then deflate all the way, then re-inflate to your preferred pressure. But since things didn't go boom your probably ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I saved some money, and no it didn't go boom. maybe after I get the bike put back together and sit on it it will though.

Thanks...Greg

·
215 Posts
Yes I saved some money, and no it didn't go boom. maybe after I get the bike put back together and sit on it it will though.

Thanks...Greg
What happened to the web site? It changed in appearance, I like the old one, it looked neater.

Anyway, if you haven't rode the bike yet go ahead and deflate the tire and re-air it just to be safe before you ride. Probably nothing will happen if you chose not to, but as a safety, or rather tube damage precaution, I would.

Edit: weird, after I posted this the website went back to normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Already deflated it and reinflated it a couple of times and so far so good. But add 280 LBS to it and it may be another story. We will see have to see. Never rode a bike in Toronto before so it should be interesting. Thanks again to everyone for there help. Lookout Toronto here I come.

Greg

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Enjoy the ride!

If everything is in good repair, the bike should carry the load no problem.

You should get a spare tube, patch kit and a pump before you venture too far though. :)

·
215 Posts
If you inflated and deflated several times I doubt seriously you have a bunch up tube after all of that, so ride in peace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts