Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick glance at the 'Show us your bike' thread made me wonder if I had the right bike. It was inherited so I had no say in style or brand but it fits OK. It's a comfort hybrid designed for older riders like me, my sister was a scrappy, short, handicapped 72 year old who rode all her life.
I started wondering about a change or upgrade within a couple hundred miles. A lighter roadie would go much faster & farther, tempting. Now with 800 miles on the odometer I'm thinking this is the right bike for me. I like the springy comfort features especially on rough roads. It still great looking @ 8 years old although I've added a couple small scratches.
I think I'll keep it. :love:
Are you happy with yours?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Yes and No.

road bike- yes, but the commute is starting to get old on it, even as a "plush" bike, it still is a bit rough.

hybrid- family truckster. For what I use it for, it can't be beat. Pulling trailers, rail-trail rides and low speed cruising at the beach, it wins hands down. Just a bit heavy for hill work (although it doesn't stop me) and I'm not sold on the sprung saddle/suspension seatpost. Brakes are a bit weak for the hills, but for its intended usage, they are more than adequate.

MTB- I cannot kill this bike. I don't ride off-road anymore so it may get traded in/sold at some point soon.

that being said. . . . .

I REALLY have a hankering for a Bacchetta Giro in the new Bianchi Celeste

or

A HP Velotechnik Gekko fx.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,136 Posts
I am thrilled with my 2011 Novara Safari. I bought it with an eye toward eventually touring and commuting by bicycle. So far, I've put over 1900mi on it and look forward to piling up even more. I can't wait to get out on tour with it, but that may take a season or two - life happens and all that.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I made the right choice in January when I bought my Colnago road bike. The proof is the 3,400+ miles I have put on it. I also loved my 2009 Giant Defy 2 but had to sell it since I had no room to store it. I also like my Giant Cypress and ride it whenever I can, although that hasn't been much lately.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My ride is a 30 year old Fuji Royale I've owned since new. It fits me pretty well, rides like a dream and has given me zero problems. After reading a lot here, I'm wondering about the wheels since I now tip the scales at about 250. The wheels are the original "alloy" ones it came with, and they don't seem to flex much so maybe I'm just seeing the tire half full. I've resisted testing new bikes since that just isn't in my near future, but I sure like the looks of many!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It took a while and one inheritance but now I have it and I love it! Going from a DF two-wheeler to a recumbent three-wheeler was quite a change, but it's all for the better, no sore ass and no more aching shoulders

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
BMX, no. I have not been to the track since moving here.
MTB, no. The Headshok blew up again. The bike is being parted out.
Single speed/fixed, yes. If I lose a bit of weight, it will be more fun to whip this bike around town.
Beach cruiser, no. There is no beach in Utah. It's for sale, since I have no one to ride with at a crazy slow pace, and no one to look at while doing it.
New 29er, yes. Other than the poopy performance of the fork, it fits my needs well right now.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've been trading around recently and am happy with my bikes, for now. Been happy with the road bike I upgraded to a year ago. Switched from a 26er to 29er geared MTB and like that a lot. Also picked up a cheap SS MTB, and enjoy it for shorter/less hilly rides.

Sold my SS road bike and my folding bike to make room in my garage for a Breezer Uptown 8. I liked both bikes I sold, but the garage was getting cramped, and the Breezer actually makes more sense for what I need/want these days when I'm NOT (1) riding longer road rides, or (2) riding singletrack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have circa 1998 GT Nomad hybrid.

http://www.BikePedia.com/Images/image2.aspx?w=500&h=500&filename=1999 GT Nomad.JPG&f=Photos

I bought it new in 1999 and barely rode it until this year. It moved with me from Virginia to California to Indiana. It's in remarkably good condition and gets the job done. I'm itching to get a rode bike though. However, I have decided that I need to meet some goals first. I want to do 50 miles in one ride and have at least 500 miles on the Nomad. I figure if I do that I will be riding enough to justify a new bike because after doing a 50 mile ride the next big goal will be a century and I think I want to do that on a rode bike.

So the short answer is that I have the right bike.....for now. ;-)

Ray

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I should be on much nicer bikes than the ones I own, but I dare say one does bond with his or her machines if he or she spends enough time riding them. While my bikes may not be perfectly matched to me, I'd hate to see anyone else astride any one of them. Well, I'd let a friend ride one if I was riding along side, but these horses are not for sale. 'Til death do us part. If I do die before my bike, I'd love to have a sibling adopt it as you have done with your sister's bike, Andy. Much respect.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My ride is a 30 year old Fuji Royale I've owned since new. It fits me pretty well, rides like a dream and has given me zero problems. After reading a lot here, I'm wondering about the wheels since I now tip the scales at about 250. The wheels are the original "alloy" ones it came with, and they don't seem to flex much so maybe I'm just seeing the tire half full. I've resisted testing new bikes since that just isn't in my near future, but I sure like the looks of many!
Man I had one of those as well. It was my second road bike. Still wish I had the frame at least. It would make a great commuter bike.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I should be on much nicer bikes than the ones I own, but I dare say one does bond with his or her machines if he or she spends enough time riding them. While my bikes may not be perfectly matched to me, I'd hate to see anyone else astride any one of them. Well, I'd let a friend ride one if I was riding along side, but these horses are not for sale. 'Til death do us part. If I do die before my bike, I'd love to have a sibling adopt it as you have done with your sister's bike, Andy. Much respect.
There was a cute blond nurse I rode with in the North Ranch MTB club. She had a vintage rigid Diamond Back, and I would loan her my Cannondale, which has the Fatty XL Headshok. She would ask if she could ride my fatty, and always told everyone how much she loved riding my fatty. To this day, I have no idea if she was being funny, or naive.

·
1,393 Posts
Once you get a road bike - especially if it is carbon - you will be spoiled forever - haven't got back on my hybrid since - if you like the flat bar style trek has a new carbon one coming out that would give you everything your bike does now - but it will give you an extra WOW !

·
Too Much Good Food
91 Posts
I'm not sure there is a correct bike for me. Too short, too fat, too old would best describe me. What bike would be the best fit for me?? Well I have a Trek 7700 hybrid that I have several thousand miles on. It is a 2005 model and it has been on the Blue Ridge Parkway (just turn right out of the lot at Peaks of the Otter Lodge (http://www.peaksofotter.com/) and do 15 miles north and then come back (http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=23849 ---- mile marker 86 to around mile marker 70), pulled Culp's hill from a dead stop at Spangler Spring, toured Shiloh a good bit and made some good trips around Franklin, NC and Dillard, GA. In the interest of always getting what I want for my birthday, I bought a Trek Madone 4.5 for my birthday last year (sold my Allez). I put 12 miles on this guy last night.

I find the 7700 great for just tooling around. I have a rack and pack for it and it is great to load up my camera, maps, order of battle, etc and go for a tour. I also just like riding in the neighborhood on it. The suspension takes some of the wear off of my bones.

The 4.5 is by far and away a great bike for putting in some miles. I would have loved to have had this bike on the Blue Ridge Parkway

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I got a good deal on my Allez roadie. I love everything about it (although different shifters wouldnt hurt) and ride the hell out of it. My goal is speed, I want speed, which it delivers. I will probably get a more functional/practical bike later for the family rides and things of that nature.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Once you get a road bike - especially if it is carbon - you will be spoiled forever - haven't got back on my hybrid since - if you like the flat bar style trek has a new carbon one coming out that would give you everything your bike does now - but it will give you an extra WOW !
I have too many WOWs already.

A carbon bike cannot do what my Cannondale does. No way!

Your bikes are plastic toys.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I got my Jamis Aurora Elite Nov. 2010 and have put 6688 miles on it so far, and I am thinking of buying anouther just like it but a different color, so I must have the right bike. I did change the saddle and it took a wile to get it ajusted :eek: but now :D
;) Ride it till the wheels fall off

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Great question. do I or don't I. I'm buying a new bike next week, and I am still torn. I have a trek hybrid that is 13 years old and very tired, I love that bike, went a ton of places with it but I figure it's time. I considered a road bike (had one years ago) but at 6' 1" and 260 and the type of riding I do (mostly paved but with some over curbs, potholes, and some unpaved trail) I'm wondering if I would be better served with another hybrid. Trek has a dual sport out right now that I like. but would I be better off with two bikes? (try to throw that one by the wife) I still have a day or two to decide but I think I put less thought into buying my house. I'll probably be confused about this issue long after my purchase:confused::confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts