Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ride a recumbent ARM driven trike - I loved biking so much that I didn't feel like lifting weights but I wanted to keep my upper body in shape - still pear shaped but working on it ! I ride 3 days a week on the road bike - and 1-2 times per week on the arm bike - right now I have the arm bike on a trainer simply because it is so hard to transport & find places to ride it - it is very cool when I do take it outside - if you are not familiar with the type of bike it is usually meant for the disabled patient

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hand-powered trikes are pretty hard to come by; they're mostly custom-built. The innovation that goes into some of them is pretty impressive, though. I've never seen one ridden by a non-paraplegic, probably due to the cost.

Have you considered a rowbike?

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A row bike would be good exercise but would not hit as many muscles or be as good for the core - not sure if the row bike you are talking about is stationary or outside driven - they are not hard to come by here in Illinois - the Bike Rack in St Charles is a leader in the US for disabled riders of all types therefor they are easily come by - what got me interested was biking itself and the need to work the upper body - simply put biking really does it for me and I wanted something that would allow me to train my upper body & core - I happened on this site : http://www.freedomryder.com/fitness.htm
& was hooked on the idea - several weeks later & much investigation I found at Bike Rack a used for shown below for $1400 ($2800 New) still in good shape & tuned up by the dealer with anything that needed to be replaced - it has been a good deal - I like it much better than the TDF bike by proform at the same cost (nothing like being outside is the only complaint about the TDF bike)

You can't just jump on an expect to ride 20-40 miles although some the disabled vets that only use there arms can do so - even the first time on the bike - it is a much greater obstacle for someone that does not use their arms for a constant means of transportation

Last night I did 9.8 miles with it on the trainer, one handed only going through the gears and alternating hands to work the core - tonight will be both hands at higher speeds and gears - a 15 mile ride outside is a good ride and speeds can be pretty high - 17-18 MPH on a small curved course is not that hard, although getting the endurance to maintain that on a longer course is definitely more difficult - which is why I have it on the trainer for this summer & winter - it is really alot of fun on a short course to have 2 bikes & two people and trade off bikes after a few laps with each - my nephew fell in love with doing this - I would rode outside this way every day he was here - next summer I hope to have it outside & have the endurance to have 2 good arm days & 3 good leg days per week

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check Angletechcycles.com - they have two arm AND foot powered bikes. I have the Quadraped (7000+ miles so far). It's a great full body exercise. Carries lots of cargo as well.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mentioned the speed only as a reference - with the 7 speed I have - you can get up to 22mph tops - on a flat - but that is all out - my highest MPH average is probably no more than 11-12 mph for any distance .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts