Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few short hours, I will be arriving in LA. First stop will be Topanga Creek Bicycles for my much anticipated rental bike. I am pumped to crush some good road miles in SoCal. Spent first 18 years of my life in LA and never cycled on the road, plenty of mountain though.

Also planning on hittng up the TT stage of ATOC....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotten any rides in yet? How's the rental bike?
The day I flew in (Saturday) I immediately went from LAX to the bike shop I rented my road bike from. Highly recommend the shop too (Topanga Creek Bicycles). They were great to deal with, which was nice considering there are not a lot of places in LA to rent a road bike. I got a short ride on Saturday afternoon but I was pretty toast after the long flight. Yesterday I got a nice 30 mile ride in with a little climbing (actually compaired to my flat roads South of Boston, it was a lot of climbing). Today, I plan on getting a longer ride...hopefully 50 to 60 miles. My back is a little tender from an unfamiliar bed so I am not sure how far I can go. So far I am loving it though.

What day and where is that gonna be?
The TT stage will be stage 7 and it is being held this coming Saturday. I am planning on hanging at the start/finish which is in front of the Staples Center (Home of the Lakers/Kings). I can't believe they are shutting down the roads for that stage. Speaks volumes for how popular cycle racing is getting in the US.

I should have some blog entries up by this afternoon deltailing my trip....when I do, I will post up the links here on TwoSpoke.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I had what I could only call an "epic day"...and it had little to do with my ride. I have had some great rides in LA, but today was all about stage 6 of the Amgen Tour of California. Check out my blog at WhyEyeBike to see some great pics and read a little about my exposure to the pro riders. All I have to say is these guys are amazing. My highlight moment(s) were watching Lars Boom tooling around on his bike like a little kid, and having brief conversations with Mark Cavendish, Tom Boonen and Chris Horner. Not only are they great pro-riders, but there great guys too. Can't wait for tomorrows ITT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts