Asking Advice

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by kjg48359, Dec 19, 2009.

1. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

Hey, I have an old Fuji bike, I'm wondering if anyone would know what I might be able to get if I sold it?

It's a 1982 "Fuji Professional" with suntour "superb" componetry (which at the time was considered lighter and better machined than Shimino if you can believe that).

Anyway, here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, any ideas where to go, besides e-bay? Are there any swap meets, or specialized brokers? thanks.

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Beautiful bike. No idea what the value of it might be though.

3. petkos

petkos New Member

vintage Fuji Pro

That was the top of the line bike for Fuji back in the day. From what I remember, I believe that it sold for about $400. then. The equivelent bike today is about $3000:thumbsup::)

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

All the bike anyone needs, even today.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Just start high on CL and work your way down. I've sold older steelies I had no idea of value that way.

6. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

From the pictures, it sure looks to be in great shape.

7. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

thanks for the responses, and actually the retail was closer to $1,200 when it was new...

8. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

Just after posting my last note, I did see the following on-line catalog from 1982, which confirms my suspicion of the year. I remember this because I had "Newest" stolen from me and I bought the Professional just before I graduation from College (so I guess I'm dating myself!)

here's the info: "http://classicfuji.com/1982_07_Professional_Page.htm"

9. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

At $1200 a pop, you had a lot of money for a college kid. I was lucky to scrounge enough for a pizza and a 6-pack when I was in school. If I didn't have enough for both, it was just the beer and another night of Raman noodles. ;)

10. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

don't worry, I saved and scrimped for that thing, and while that was the retail cost, it was at a ski & bike shop I worked at, so I did get it for cost... But you know? When something is important enough, you find a way. :p

11. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

I'll give you $20 for it right now, sight unseen.

12. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Seriously, though....

I would try to get $300 on Craigslist. Maybe a little more.

13. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

thanks, without really trying yet, I just received an offer for $450, so it's probably going to do all right. I appreciate it though. I'll just have to get a little more detailed in some future pictures. (for a few seconds though, you had me going there Doohickie. You wouldn't happen to be related to a "Fritzmar" would you? [I learned that one from some line workers in Baltimore where GM made the "Astro-Safari" mini-van back in late '80s early '90s. No wonder the company went bankrupt!])

14. petkos

petkos New Member

RE: Fuji

You can sign up to the classic Rendezvous site and then post it there. I am sure that there is somebody on that eclectic list that would like to add it to there stable.

Cheers,

Peter
    Chilly and 27 degrees in Chapel Hill, NC

15. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

Thanks Peter (it ended up selling for $500)...

16. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

I'm the new owner of Kevin's Fuji Professional .. :) One of the nicest Fuji's I've seen or owned. Thanks K.

I'll post some updated photos when all the snow melts.

Scott