Assos

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Xela, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Since this stuff is super expensive, I thought I would give a word of advice. Be sure to buy one size bigger than what you normally wear. Also, their stuff is cut to fit the riding position, not for when you are standing. Standing up in their bibs is not a pleasant experience for us guys. In addition, if you are in anyway self-conscience about showing some flab that has crept up on you over the years, this is probably not the apparrel for you. I myself am slightly conscience about my gut which isn't helped by my other hobby, homebrewing, so I normally wear my Assos jersey when it's just going to be me and the road.

2. Gomez

Gomez Member

They are expensive but I bought a pair of M 1 Mille two years ago and the bottom has been in love ever since. Have not tried the Jerseys yet.

3. Xela

Yeah, I wish I would have bought the Mille's. Did you order one size bigger than what you wear in other brands?

4. itself

itself New Member

I dream of owning an Assos piece one day! It seems that the price of cycling shorts is really getting out of control. $200 for a pair of shorts? I have always wondered if their clothing really holds up better than a more reasonable price short..

Lisa

5. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Agreed, excellent bibs. Sadly, whilst the milles are my most comfortable bibs, I find the fabric on mine is deteriorating in the small of the back area. The dealer says it's due to sweat so, basically, bad luck. After around 3000 mile, that means they work out pretty expensive for me and is certainly a major consideration for replacement. None of my other make bibs are similarly suffering and have, in some cases, done greater mileage.

6. itself

itself New Member

I have had my Louis Garneau bibs, I'm not kidding, like 7 years. They hold up extremely well, and the chamois is great. The price is also much better!

Lisa

7. Gomez

Gomez Member

I did and they felt to a tad big, maybe I'm in the in between size demographic. They are very comfortable, well padded and the best shorts for my rear that I have found. I do recommend.

8. Xela

You got me looking at the Mille's. I think I'm going to be getting some Competitive Cyclist gift cards soon, so I'm already shopping. :)

9. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Update: I wrote to Assos about the fabric deterioration in my Mille bibs. They confirmed that it is a non-warranty issue but have offered me a 50% discount on a new pair of Mille S5 bibs (I have to send my old ones back). I guess you can't say much fairer than that.

10. Xela

I used my birthday gift card and ordered a pair of the Mille's today. The salesman said I should go with large in these. He said the cut on the Mille's make them a little less restrictive and I would probably be all right in the large.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I want one because I know I'm fat and was advised by a lady friend of mine that I ought never to do that. Don't people enjoy staring at my flab? I do.

12. Xela

Rode my new Mille's yesterday for the first time. Only a 40 mile ride, but it was the most comfortable pad I've ever ridden. The salesman said I should go with a large, as the cut is more generous than the 13's. I did. I feel they may be slightly small, but not uncomfortable. Definitely don't fit as tight as the 13's. Shorts came with a small bottle of Assos Active Wear Cleanser (which I use and love), and a sample of their chamois cream. Used it for the first time yesterday, too, and really was happy with it.

In summary, I am much happier with these shorts than the Giordana Forma Red which I paid the same for.

13. Xela

Did 82 miles today with lots of climbing (i.e. lots of grinding in the saddle) in the Milles. Definitely my new favorite short. If you're considering the Mille's, I think you should ignore my first post in this thread about buying a size bigger. I was told by the salesman to order my standard size in these, and they fit great. Great bibs!

14. Gomez

Gomez Member

They are awesome, now I just need to find more.

15. Xela

As of last weekend, I've now put a century on those Milles and they were wonderful. Only problem now is that I have four other bibs that aren't the Milles that I don't want to wear anymore.

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm looking for something that says no I'm not self conscious and no I don't care what you think. Any suggestions?

17. Xela

I think the ultimate would be red bibs and no jersey.

18. Xela

Just wanted to add another endorsement for these bibs. I just ordered another pair. They are hands down the most comfortable bibs I've ever worn. Other than the cost (I bought this second pair with Christmas gift cards), I can't come up with one complaint.