Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ran across this article in a local news paper there has been more and more of these incidents in our area as more people use the trails. In the last year several people have been assaulted on their bikes, I often think I ride a expensive bike and I am a fairly easy target when on trail should I be looking into some type of protection?

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=361731

·
Registered
81 Posts
I carry police spray (given to me by a cop). Dunno if I could get it out of the hip pocket quick - think about that a lot.

I don't know - there are parts of a new trail through town that cut through industrial area and by hobo jungles. I like riding at night but won't go down there.

If I had to, I'd consider a gun. I really don't know how well spray works.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll add that years ago, I was taking my bike loop at night and part of it runs down a trail. Right where it goes through a wooded section, I heard something come crashing out of the woods to my left. Just leaned into the pedals and went hyperspace. Got home 15 minutes later and called the cops to report what happened.

See, I thought they might roll a car over there, shine a light, something.

The guy told me "Well, maybe you shouldn't be riding a bike at 11 o'clock at night".

Hey, thanks! I'd like to say I had a comeback ready - "Oh, is the police department closed?" "Looks like I'll be buying a gun since YOU guys won't do your job" "And your name and badge number is?" - but no, I just hung up and wondered WTF.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Over the years we've had several robberies and one killing on a very popular 100+ mile trail in Atlanta. The trail, an old rail bed runs past many 'questionable' neighborhoods. Most of the incidences have been teen/gang related. I carry a fairly large knife with me while riding. As long as someone didn't pull a gun on me, the knife is probably good enough to discourage someone. The only things I carry of value are my GPS, phone and the bike itself. The police patrol the trail pretty regularly on ATV's during daylight hours and there's usually enough traffic on the trail on the days I ride that it's pretty safe. I've put over 2k miles on the trail this past year and have never felt threatened -- there's always tomorrow though.

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
We have long river trails here that have underpasses going by major roadways. Parts of this go through sketchy areas of towns and there have been reports of people getting rushed under the bridges. I avoid these areas,t here are plenty of other safe areas to ride.

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
I don't like riding on urban area trails. I'd much rather do small town rural. And anywhere around Atlanta would scare the crap out of me. Low income and unemployed types can become desperate types fast. I mean when was the last time you read about a middle income person robbing someone?

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Maybe I should switch to bear repelent, dog repelent may not be enough any more. :eek:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Just heard an unconfirmed rumor that someone was robbed on the bike trail not far from my house earlier in the week. Supposedly the rider was alone and attacked by a gang of kids and took his wallet but left he and bike alone. I'm hoping it's one of those, a friend of a friends third cousin's brother got robbed on the SCT, and turns out to be nothing.

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
You just confirmed my fears about Atlanta Poolie. Most people who hear the word 'Atlanta' their first thoughts probably are minorities, gangs, drugs, low income, and crime. And anyone who doesn't think this could be either in denial of the truth or possibly on another planet. Most big cities are unsafe. And look at the people who make it that way. My moto is better safe than sorry. I never take chances with my life. Enjoy the info everyone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Shame cyclists have to worry about getting mugged, I guess one should always ride in groups...where I live the mugging comes from critters, bears and Mtn lions, noise usually works best to get rid of them...carried a gun for a while for noise effect(blanks), but screaming seems to work just as well...be careful out there, or come ride the Sierra Nevada's with me DrB

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just ran across this article in a local news paper there has been more and more of these incidents in our area as more people use the trails. In the last year several people have been assaulted on their bikes, I often think I ride a expensive bike and I am a fairly easy target when on trail should I be looking into some type of protection?

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=361731
Sadly, that has happened here in St. Pete on the Pinellas Trail. Which is closed from dark to sunrise.

I carry police spray (given to me by a cop). Dunno if I could get it out of the hip pocket quick - think about that a lot.

I don't know - there are parts of a new trail through town that cut through industrial area and by hobo jungles. I like riding at night but won't go down there.

If I had to, I'd consider a gun. I really don't know how well spray works.
The problem with police/pepper spray is that if the wind is against you that you are going to end up spraying yourself.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes but pepper spray won't get you locked up like defending yourself with a firearm. Even if your life is in imminent danger, prosecutors still want to bury you. This is why I prefer rural paved trails.
Living in Florida I presume that you are aware that we now have a "stand your ground" law, and that it absolves one of prosecution when taking steps to defend one's life or the life of another person.

And stop and think about this, you pull out your can of pepper spray point it at your attacker(s), spray and the wind blows it back into your face incapacitating you and leaving your attacker(s) unaffected. How is that going to help you?

If anything you've just helped your attacker(s) be able to rob/attack you and leave you "flopping" on the trail like a "fish out of water."

Whereas when one is attacked by a group intent on doing them harm or robbing them and they pull out a firearm and shot their attacker. Their attacker is the one who is injured or killed. There is/was a case recently up in Pa (I think) where an "elderly" gentleman was riding his bike on a MUP, a group of teens who should have been in school attacked him. He pulled out his firearm and shot two of the three teens. One died as a result of his injuries the other was just wounded and taken to the hospital and the third was taken into custody. The wounded attacker was also taken into custody.

There were NO, charges filed against the gentleman for defending himself. He was very briefly taken into custody while it was determined that he used reasonable force to defend himself, but that was it.

Now granted it wouldn't surprise me if the parents of the dead teen and/or the wounded teen didn't try to go after him in civil court, but if Pa "stand your ground" law is anything like Florida's then they won't even be able to do that.

·
242 Posts
Just because a person has a low income in no way makes them dangerous if that was the case I'd be on the FBI's 10 most wanted list. All of the people I ever hear of that get mugged or robbed are north of here in the money is. Not much use mugging some one in the poor part of town they would not have anything with taking. There is good and bad everywhere. And there are just as many scarey deliverence people in the country as there are gang member druggies in the cities and I don't see much difference between the two actually. So I just ride where ever and don't worry about it either way

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just because a person has a low income in no way makes them dangerous if that was the case I'd be on the FBI's 10 most wanted list. All of the people I ever hear of that get mugged or robbed are north of here in the money is. Not much use mugging some one in the poor part of town they would not have anything with taking. There is good and bad everywhere. And there are just as many scarey deliverence people in the country as there are gang member druggies in the cities and I don't see much difference between the two actually. So I just ride where ever and don't worry about it either way
Agreed, nor does being homeless make a person dangerous, yet sadly too many people equate both groups as being that way. :mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts