Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IanHighfield, Jan 12, 2010.

1. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Anyone seen this movie yet? I'm going Thursday night. I hate sci-fi for the most part but want to see this thing. Have never seen a 3D movie.

2. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

Havn't seen the movie yet, it's on my list of films to see... read somewhere that you have to have 20/20 vision or the 3D effect doesn't work for you.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

And if you're depressed, you may feel suicidal after.

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

My eyesight is OK. But on entering the theatre it might be impaired for a Guiness or six.

5. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Is this because it mirrors every major imperialistic country's exploitation of the natives in world history? Why should that spirit of domination not go with us to Pandora? The nature of man does not make me suicidal. I try to figure out how to benefit from same and not be a victim. Cynical, but I'm not one for changing the world. Too hard. Please pass the popcorn.

6. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

This isn't necessarily true. I didn't have any problem with my progressive bifocals.

Ian, I hope you feel like you get your money's worth. I am generally a sci-fi fan to beginw ith, so I didn't have that hurdle.

7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Engyo, all I've heard is that the FXs are something to behold but that the story is a second-rate, star-crossed, boy-meets-girl drama wrapped up in a modern western where all the Indians get it in the neck. I like westerns so I'm in.

Do you need to wear special glasses in the theatre to see the 3D affect?

8. Industry_Hack

9. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Saw this at the IMAX 3D. Wow, that theater's gonna ruin me for every other one. Second movie I have seen in IMAX 3D, with the first being the new A Christmas Carol. Both blew me away.

I think the effects are the major appeal of AVATAR. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but it wasn't the script/story or the acting that did it for me.

In that regard, I saw Sherlock Holmes the next day. I actually thought it was a better movie, because its script and acting was superior, IMO.

10. Industry_Hack

11. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Hack, I went to that CNN link. Two thoughts: Was that camera on a stand in the movie theatre a pirate job like in the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets stong-armed into making blackmarket videos? And, any person who is influenced by a movie to the point of suicide is already mentally ill.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

"Other fans have expressed feelings of disgust with the human race and disengagement with reality."

They weren't doing that before they walked in to the theater?

13. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Honest to god. Read the history of man on earth. It's one land war after another. It's what we do.

I tend to think the Avatar movie is the ONLY way humans would react to another planet with vast material goods we want. Just look at European exploitation of the New World starting 500 years ago and continuing today. Read about my lads in every corner of the globe. Read about the US government and United Fruit in the Caribbean Basin 100 years ago. The stuff of bad movies.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It's what we will continue to do. We are expressing the eternal vigilance of life which is to continue. The acquisition of resources is the only way to assure this. Unfortunately when you run out you have to find it some where else. Usually though those people want what you want and the fight ensues. I'm confused as to why imperialism is frowned upon. It's what we do as a whole.

15. Industry_Hack

A sharper eye would have noticed that everyone there had on some sort of badge, leading me to believe it was a media event. But I suppose that's why I'm the photographer/writer, and you're not.

16. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

You got that right.

I noticed they all have on the glasses. I've heard you don't need them in modern 3-D movies and I've heard you still do. This photo seems to support the glasses side.

17. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Imperialism carries with it a connotation of evil. You are correct - all peoples on earth expand into others lands to take what they have. It is the nature of man and not the actions of just one or two nations. The Brits and the US and Russia, Germany and Japan just have the machinery to make it easier. Haiti would march on the United States if they had 2 good boats and a dozen trained soldiers. (Poor buggers with that recent earthquake and all.)

18. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Just back from seeing this movie with my girlfriend. (Avatar) I liked it a good bit but found I had a little eye strain on leaving the building. This cleared up in an hour.

Movie is a sight to behold. The story is a weak dishrag but the effects are not to be missed. I did not have any problems with depression or feelings of suicide. I did, however, have thoughts of homicide when one wanker several seats in front kept smoking and using his cell phone through the whole picture.

I don't usually like sci-fi but liked this movie for its effects alone. Same way I like Lost World with the dinosaurs depicted so real.

19. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

I've avoided 3D movies since the 70's. Bad auto accident screwed my eye sight to a point where those old time 3D (paper) glasses wouldn't work. But, being a sci-fi nut, I just had to see this movie. Standing in line for the tickets, you had the choice of three variations of this movie. 2D, 3D, Imax tru3D. So I just took a chance and went to the 3D version. Coarse, the glasses cost ya an extra $3, but I was pleasantly surprised. They worked! The new & improved 3D technology is pretty good. Oh-yea...thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Word of wise..leave all your political/tree hugg'n feelings at the door and just enjoy the ride.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

See I hate trees so that might be a problem. I love the new three d as well. I grew up on the tail end of the old red and blue glasses and that was horrible. It would give me headaches.