Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without turning this into a "whip it out & measure" contest. I was wondering what peoples average & and top speeds (without drafting) were along with the longest distance traveled in a single ride? I'm just curious because I'd like to set some goals for myself and I'm just interested to see what others are doing at all different levels.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
My longest ride this year was 156mi. My average speed was 12.2mph, average moving speed 13.7, max speed 43.4mph.

My fastest ride was 8.5 miles at 16.3 average speed.

My fastest long ride was 51 miles at 14.9 average speed.

I'm not very fast, more of a tourer than a racer...

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow! 156 miles that's incredible! I don't even wanna say mine lol. I'm still getting used to my road bike so I've yet to get a lengthy ride in. I can average between 16 & 18 depending where I go. and my highest top speed so far is 30. I can't even imagine going 40 plus. thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Longest ride: 45.5
Avg speed: 16.5 to 18.
Top speed on flats: 27
Top speed with hills: that is silly there are no hills in Houston.

I started out a few months ago but with advice and support from fellow two spokers, I continue to push.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Currently, I ride solo and average in the high 13s, low 14s in terms of average miles/hour. Rolling hills of eastern PA.
The longest I've ridden in a single ride is 50 miles; I've done that twice so far this year. Took me about 3-3/4 hours to do so each time.
Top speed on flats? I bet 23 to 25.
Max speed per my bike's computer is 35.4 mph. Although if I knew I was going that fast, I probably would've hit the brakes. LOL.

When I started riding again in earnest, about 3-4 years ago, my average mph was around 9. And that was really working hard. I also had to teach myself how to ride if you know what I mean. When to shift. How to brake. Lean into a turn. That sort of thing. Still a work in progress.

I have a nice hill I have lovingly termed "Heartbuster" and I make sure I climb it with some regularity. I first had to walk it. Then I could climb it, but had to stop at the top to catch my breath. Now I crest its evil, near vertical top portion, which goes from paved trail to large loose gravel, and don't even throw a stone from my back wheel. :)

Guess what I'm saying is it's good to be curious. I was, too. I think it's only natural to know how you rate/rank compared to others. But I have found I've learned so much more in my journey by comparing myself only to myself from ride to ride. Day to day. Month to month. And year to year. And using personal barometers like Heartbuster as a way to really gauge and celebrate my progress. I remember the day that hill earned its name. I wasn't sure I was going to make it home. Give it time. If you keep riding, it'll come. Guaranteed.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems like you and I omni are close except distance. I'd like to try and get a couple 30m rides in before the end of the season that's one of my goals. I still push to break my top speed and eventually I'd like to be capable of averaging about 20. but that prolly won't happen this year lol. I'll still try.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think one of the coolest things about cycling is that there's always another goal you can create for yourself. I wish you good luck and good health as you strive to reach your goals. I'd like to average 20 mph, too. But that won't happen until I drop some more weight. Working on that now.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
LiveFreeRideHard said:
seems like you and I omni are close except distance. I'd like to try and get a couple 30m rides in before the end of the season that's one of my goals. I still push to break my top speed and eventually I'd like to be capable of averaging about 20. but that prolly won't happen this year lol. I'll still try.
Wanna race ;-)

I push for speed during the week and do intervals. Weekends are for distance. The two ideals eventually converge. Just push a little further each ride by a few miles. When I first started I was reaching for 10. Now 20 is cake and breaking 30 is more common.

I would plan my route ahead of time on a map and reach that goal. Then add some distance or a segment.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Rock_my_Roll said:
I think one of the coolest things about cycling is that there's always another goal you can create for yourself. I wish you good luck and good health as you strive to reach your goals. I'd like to average 20 mph, too. But that won't happen until I drop some more weight. Working on that now.
I agree I feel like a better me due to reaching goals.

You can do eeeeet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree I feel like a better me due to reaching goals.

You can do eeeeet.
Oh, I'm doing it, omni. Some days better than others. And when I get there, I'm planning one ride on my usual trek wearing my son's Superman cape and pulling all the weight I've lost in my trailer behind me. Should be sometime around December, I estimate.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Rock_my_Roll said:
Oh, I'm doing it, omni. Some days better than others. And when I get there, I'm planning one ride on my usual trek wearing my son's Superman cape and pulling all the weight I've lost in my trailer behind me. Should be sometime around December, I estimate.
Love the cape.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Wanna race ;-)

I push for speed during the week and do intervals. Weekends are for distance. The two ideals eventually converge. Just push a little further each ride by a few miles. When I first started I was reaching for 10. Now 20 is cake and breaking 30 is more common.

I would plan my route ahead of time on a map and reach that goal. Then add some distance or a segment.
Miles or mph ? Or both ?:D

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
I try and ride 35 miles before work in the morning and 35-70 on the weekends with 45-50 being typical. Avg 18.5 right now. Odd as earlier this year I was maintaining a 19-19.5 mph avg and a little better on group rides....going backwards :)

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well my longest ride was over 3 years ago it was 62 miles at about 10 mph on a comfort bike ;). I have gotten older since then, allmost 68. I was on an up swing doing 20s and 30s with a 40 every once in a wile, but now find my self shorting my rides and :rolleyes: I cant ride any slower or I will fall over. I have 6,450 miles on my bike that will be 2 years old in November ;) :D

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
wild said:
Well my longest ride was over 3 years ago it was 62 miles at about 10 mph on a comfort bike ;). I have gotten older since then, allmost 68. I was on an up swing doing 20s and 30s with a 40 every once in a wile, but now find my self shorting my rides and :rolleyes: I cant ride any slower or I will fall over. I have 6,450 miles on my bike that will be 2 years old in November ;) :D
Wild that is a lot of miles to have ridden.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would like to get 7,000 befor it is 2 years old and have to change the front tire I had 3,500 on the fuji in a year befor I got this bike.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Today's ride was full of surprises but to keep in thread topic todays raide was 36.99 miles (yea I know one more tenth) with an avg of 18.9 mph and depending on what you look at either 200 watts on RWGPS or 155 on Strava and a total of 1104 kJ.

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Gues mu longest and fastest this year was the Cap2Cap ride 101 miles 19.6 mph avg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts