Avid Rollamajig

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by TXbiker, Jul 29, 2009.

1. TXbiker

TXbiker Guest

My son has trouble twisting the grip-shift on his MTB (he's 7) and tends to leave it in a low gear to avoid shifting. I lubricated the derailer and made sure the cable was in good shape but it had no effect. I even took it to my LBS and they essentially checked the same things. Then I noticed on eBay an Avid Rollamajig and it appears to be the answer to the problem but was curious as to why such a seemingly perfect device is no longer made? Anyone have experience with this item?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

3. TXbiker

TXbiker Guest

I'll have to check out the link at home, I'm blocked from it here at work. Thanks for the info though.

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Basically, it was dropped because the latest generation of Sram & Shimano derailleurs will not benefit from a rollamajig. I guess they just figured that the market has diminished enough so it's not worth producing anymore.

5. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Sram owns Avid.
    They most likely sat down, and wondered why they should make a product that makes Shimano derailleurs feel better?

I love the things.
    They don't change your pull ratio, like stated in that posted link, but they do remove cable friction due to eliminating the long loop of cable at the end of the bike.

6. TXbiker

TXbiker Guest

I bought it off eBay and works exactly as I hoped; son may wear the thing out shifting all the time enjoying his new-found ability.