Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at several "comfort bikes" but as soon as I rode the Jamis Citizen I knew I found the right bike for me. Bike shop only had the Citizen 2 in stock and I wanted the 21 inch Citizen 3, mainly for the trigger shift and upgraded wheel set. Anyway it will be here next week. My question is does any company sell Model specific tool kits?

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
great question... i will try to find out but my gut says, nope unless the bike manufacturer does probably not going to happen.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
I saw a review of the Citizan 4 in Bicycle Times and it was one sweet bike. The 2 looks just as good. I didn't see anything on their web site but generally the variety of different sized allen bolts and such on a bike the best thing to do is just get a multi tool. Biketrashbar carries a bunch for little money:

Lightweight Bike Tools: Portable Bike Tools for Road & MTN Bikes: Nashbar

That and a tire patch kit are about all the tools you really need for small jobs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and link. Seems to me there would be a market for Model specific tool kits but I cant find that market. Maybe the Tools are to Generic, still it would be a good marketing tool and I would buy one for the ease of not putting it together myself. I read the Fred Thread, pretty funny, makes me think of the old guy mowing his lawn in Bermuda shorts, black socks and dress shoes. I'm not quite that bad but an old Fred just the same.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
i often ride my bike in cargo shorts a t shirt and calf length black socks:eek:....
oh no i am like an old man mowing the lawn!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm not sure why there would need to be brand/model specific tools. If you've got a decent tool box, you have most of the tools needed to assemble and repair a bike.

For my bike backpack/saddle bag I bought the Topeak Alien II from Amazon, I have adjusted almost everything on my bike using this, it even has a chain tool.

Topeak Alien II

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
Hello Doris, I'm Fred :)
thanks for the greeting Fred!
sadly, i also do the whole race jersey and shorts thing. i know kinda lame.

i have a crankbrothers multi 19 tool... about all you would have to have.

++ multi19 :: crankbrothers.com ++

i got mine as a gift from the roommate. you can of course find cheaper stuff that is just as good.
at home i have more bike tools like bb wrenches and a wheel truing set-up but it is just stuff i got over the years... mostly used stuff that was still in good shape.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There may be a few things you want to add to a road kit that is bike specific. I carry a few wrenches on one of my bikes. Why?? It has bolt on wheels. The one thing I need to add to what I carry is what I would call a road rash kit. A few bandaids for blisters and cuts, some antiseptic, some Tums or Rolaids (ok not real road rash but riding with an upset stomach and nothing to take for it stinks) and a few aspirin or other pain reliever. What else am I missing??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldn't wait

Thanks for the ideas Garilia and Sproket Girl. I don't have the Bike yet, coming in next week, guess I should wait and size all the fasteners and such then match my list to a multi-tool. Don't want extra crap I don't need, but I just couldn't wait to get a couple of things. Ordered a Standit rack from the Sierra Trading Post because they have the Silver one in stock, The Bike Bag Shop did not, but I did order the Trunkit Large from the Bike Bag Shop. I like the idea of no bungee cords or straps, these two things fit together with a "snapit system" easy on easy off with an optional lock. Pretty cool I thought. Anyone have experience with this system?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If its the velcro on to the rack type of attachment, mine has served me well. I don't worry too much yet about anything extra I might carry in my bag. What is on my bike that has the greatest potential for losing weight is me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts