Two Spoke Forums banner

Back in the saddle soon

18K views 115 replies 12 participants last post by  OSOFAST 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Guess you could call me a beginner again.. I rode a lot in the mid-late 70's and early 80's, but then just lost interest in bikes and ridding. Lately I have found myself shopping for a bike and looking to get back in the saddle.

I built my last bike in the late 70's from a Motobecane frame with full Dura-Ace gear and loved that bike.
I have been looking at Trek, Fuji, Bianchi, Raleigh and Motobecane for my next bike and know there are many other companies putting out very nice bikes. I'm now 50 and looking for a bike to ride along side my wife on weekends and maybe a little road ridding on the side.

Looking to spend between $1000-$1500 (not much by todays standards I have noticed)

I did find a sweet used Team Raleigh carbon frame with Shimano Ultegra components at a local shop and as of right now thats looking like the best bet so far. Yes it may be a little overkill for something to ride to the store on, but I want to treat myself to a nice bike.

Please post any suggestions you may have.

Also if you know of any online parts stores please post them here.
(I know of Bike Nashbar, Bike warehouse and Performance right now)

Thanks

Mark

See less See more
#3 ·
my new custom bike

I recently got a bike to ride with my hubby. He usually rides on sidewalks and trails so I didn't want a road bike but I didn't want to get the standard hybrid either cause I had a hybrid and I wanted something that could perform better. I spend about 2 weeks looking at different bikes and researching online and I decided to get a Gary Fisher Trek Utopia. I would look at others but I would keep going back to that bike, it seemed to show the most promise for what I wanted to do which was be able to ride well and have good performance on both trails and the road. I know I was going to change some components around anyway on any bike I got to make a more custom fit and to get it to perform the way I wanted to so the main thing I was concerned with was the frame/fork and sizing. The day after I got it I changed the tires to more road friendly tires, the saddle to one that felt better on my butt and the handlebars to road style with the drops plus I changed my stem and lowed it a little with plans on changing the crankset to a 53/39 for extra speed when on flat ground. When everything is complete its change from a $800 bike to close to a $2000 bike. Its been a lot of fun making it custom too!

BTW, that team bike looks pretty good. I was thinking about getting a carbon fork for mine cause I hear they can absorb shock pretty well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#4 ·
How is your Cateye holding up? Is it pretty waterproof? Does it stay mounted? sorry with the questions >< I'm just looking for a new tail light. That's decent and so bright people cuse at you. Lol

#5 ·
I recently got a bike to ride with my hubby. He usually rides on sidewalks and trails so I didn't want a road bike but I didn't want to get the standard hybrid either cause I had a hybrid and I wanted something that could perform better. I spend about 2 weeks looking at different bikes and researching online and I decided to get a Gary Fisher Trek Utopia. I would look at others but I would keep going back to that bike, it seemed to show the most promise for what I wanted to do which was be able to ride well and have good performance on both trails and the road. I know I was going to change some components around anyway on any bike I got to make a more custom fit and to get it to perform the way I wanted to so the main thing I was concerned with was the frame/fork and sizing. The day after I got it I changed the tires to more road friendly tires, the saddle to one that felt better on my butt and the handlebars to road style with the drops plus I changed my stem and lowed it a little with plans on changing the crankset to a 53/39 for extra speed when on flat ground. When everything is complete its change from a $800 bike to close to a $2000 bike. Its been a lot of fun making it custom too!

BTW, that team bike looks pretty good. I was thinking about getting a carbon fork for mine cause I hear they can absorb shock pretty well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
How is your Cateye holding up? Is it pretty waterproof? Does it stay mounted? sorry with the questions >< I'm just looking for a new tail light. That's decent and so bright people cuse at you. Lol

#7 ·
Welcome to the forums!

I would avoid a used carbon frame. Without knowing the complete history of the bike, you're probably taking a gamble. Maybe it was never dropped, but you cannot be sure. At 50, especially since you've been off the bike a while, I would avoid carbon and aluminum altogether. Both are generally going to be very stiff. While they can be highly efficient, ride comfort may suffer.

If you're comfortable with doing a bit of wrenching, and know your size, check out BikesDirect. You can get lugged steel frames in your budget, or even a titanium frame with SRAM Rival if you can go a bit over budget. Both will offer performance with excellent ride quality.

Oh, the Motobecane sold by BD is not the same Motobecane you used to ride, but they're still great bikes.

#9 ·
welcome
glad to you hear you will be spinning soon.
Hack, always gives great advice...
i would also take a look at Masi

this is the one i long for
Gran Criterium : Masi Bikes
slightly above the price range you said but they offer others that are amazing in many price ranges. some for less than what you were thinking about paying. they make great bikes for a good value!

#11 ·
Thanks everyone for your time. The team Raleigh was not set in stone and I may go a different route after reading the comments here.

Thats the reason I posted to learn and hear from the knowledge on this forum..

Thanks again

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for your time. The team Raleigh was not set in stone and I may go a different route after reading the comments here.

Thats the reason I posted to learn and hear from the knowledge on this forum..

Thanks again
I'm only 41, but ride quality is very important to me, which is why I prefer steel or titanium. The whole idea behind carbon is to make a light and stiff frame, which may not be what you really want.

#16 ·
Giant offers the best value if you're buying from a bike shop. They are the world's largest manufacturer of bicycles.

We do have a dealer in town that carries Specialized, Fuji and Giant bikes.

#19 ·
i love my steel ride for commutes... it is a little more gentle and rides nice!
like Hack stated... carbon is stiff and light, my long distance hardcore bike is carbon but honestly, i could go anywhere i go on my Wilier on my steel Specialized, just might take a slightly longer time.
Giant Trek and Specialize all make good rides as does Kona... of the big companies.
If Hack says Giant i would check them out first.
i kinda like the small companies like Brodie and Masi... my next ride will be from one of them.

#21 ·
#22 ·
That's a nice choice. Take one for a test ride though. You can replace seats and bars and stems, but nothing is going to matter if the ride quality isn't there.

And don't listen to SprocketGirl. She's 19, probably weighs 120, if that, and is 100 times more flexible than we are. :rolleyes:
gosh... that is harsh plus, i am not a fat butt :eek: 120!... try 115. :D
Hack is right though... i am young and ride in a very compact race type position plus, i like all bikes:love: so no matter what you post i will say it is cool, well there are exceptions but very few. i do dig steel rides, but bikes that fit me are light regardless of what they are made out of.
still i think that black Giant is sexy... and agree ride it first.

#23 ·
Lol yeah I'm not as flexible as I was 30+ years ago. Hell it hurts to get up off the floor after playing with my Grandkids...

That seat does not look like my old back side would enjoy it, but back in the day I loved my brooks (slab of leather) seat.

Next question:
Sizing: I'm 6'1" @ 220.

By the charts I have seen its between a 58-60cm frame. I guess the only way to see which feels better would be to ride it.

#25 ·
if you go with the defy the sizes are bellow...

size toptube length... Stand over in IN
L/55.5 57.50 32
XL/58.5 59.50 32.8
looks like the XL would fit anyone over 6' to me. if the top tube feels too long shorter stems are an easier fix than raising the saddle if the seattube is too short.(when you get the saddle way high you will have to be super bent over) i would go with the one that is best standover wise. you could probably ride either one... Hack, what do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.