Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'm sure I posted our Thanksgiving turkey at least once. And this Sunday, I grilled bacon for breakfast on the bbq. If you don't have it often, you better make it good!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I think mine's more of a constant craving. By the way, if, like me, you now have that dang song stuck in your head; you're welcome.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I roast forty pounds of bacon at one time. The entire Rest. smells of it till anything else is cooked. If people come in in the morning, they stop smell, smile and it just puts them in a better mood. Delivery guys will try to pinch some. Forty pounds of bacon produces more grease than you would believe, especially since we bake it.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I roast forty pounds of bacon at one time. The entire Rest. smells of it till anything else is cooked. If people come in in the morning, they stop smell, smile and it just puts them in a better mood. Delivery guys will try to pinch some. Forty pounds of bacon produces more grease than you would believe, especially since we bake it.
You could make bacon fat biodiesel. I'd love to be behind the truck that is burning that!:D

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
You could make bacon fat biodiesel. I'd love to be behind the truck that is burning that!:D
I actually save it and clarify it. You'd be surprised how much bacon fat gets reused. A lot of my Mexican staff will take it home and add to beans, sauces, man, just awesome up everything with it.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually save it and clarify it. You'd be surprised how much bacon fat gets reused. A lot of my Mexican staff will take it home and add to beans, sauces, man, just awesome up everything with it.
Oh, I believe it. I remember doing that years ago before bacon fat became bad for you. About the only thing that I still use it for is frying eggs. I try to be healthy these days and use olive oil.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Oh, I believe it. I remember doing that years ago before bacon fat became bad for you. About the only thing that I still use it for is frying eggs. I try to be healthy these days and use olive oil.
Hop, I hate to burst your bubble, but if you thought bacon fat was good for you, you were alone.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hop, I hate to burst your bubble, but if you thought bacon fat was good for you, you were alone.
Obviously, saturated fat has never been healthy, but there was once a time when the connection with high cholesterol and heart disease was not known.

Ignorance is bliss!:love:

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Obviously, saturated fat has never been healthy, but there was once a time when the connection with high cholesterol and heart disease was not known.

Ignorance is bliss!:love:
And painful. A large part of the greatest generation died due to the way they eat I'm sure.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I think it's worse now. Childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes are epidemic.
A lot of the obesity issues stem from our cultures dislike of obesity, not that there's anything wrong with it. Being a consumer society, it's easier to sell and produce if we all fit the archetype of body image. Also it helps when you're trying to sell beauty products, if you tell everyone they're ugly. As for type two diabetes, look at recent history. They ate worse, lived shorter, and were skinny, which leads to two primary observations. One, there is a transition to white collar work, which as we all know involves little physical labor. 2, the introduction of corn into every facet of our diet. The expression "corn fed" is meant to mean to have bulk or girth. We are feeding ourselves an unending amount of corn, really, look at labels, it's in everything. Not to mention the primal urge to consume easily accessible forms of energy (sugar), and what you produce, is a fat lazy consumer society that suffers from poor body image, meaningless and unprovoked depression, and a need to buy things to fix those problems. Sound familiar?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot of the obesity issues stem from our cultures dislike of obesity, not that there's anything wrong with it. Being a consumer society, it's easier to sell and produce if we all fit the archetype of body image. Also it helps when you're trying to sell beauty products, if you tell everyone they're ugly. As for type two diabetes, look at recent history. They ate worse, lived shorter, and were skinny, which leads to two primary observations. One, there is a transition to white collar work, which as we all know involves little physical labor. 2, the introduction of corn into every facet of our diet. The expression "corn fed" is meant to mean to have bulk or girth. We are feeding ourselves an unending amount of corn, really, look at labels, it's in everything. Not to mention the primal urge to consume easily accessible forms of energy (sugar), and what you produce, is a fat lazy consumer society that suffers from poor body image, meaningless and unprovoked depression, and a need to buy things to fix those problems. Sound familiar?
True dat! And kids these days spend more time on Facebook than bikes.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Dang...So is the skin of that turkey crispy?? And how does it taste??
Yes, the skin was very crispy. Only a woman would have to ask how it tasted. ;)

Seriously, it was bacony turkey crunchy candy goodness. It's not as scary as it looks - the flavor is subtle, but it was the most perfectly moist turkey I have ever had.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts