Bad Dogs

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by bankchick, Mar 12, 2010.

1. bankchick

bankchick New Member

Grrrrrr......went out for a quick ride after work last night and was tag teamed by a pit bull mix and a little yappy dog. I have ridden this road 50 times and have never seen this pit before, he caught me totally off guard. I was riding into a headwind and I saw this dog race across the yard toward me. I usually try to talk nice like it is my own dog and that has worked in the past, but not last night. (I have HALT but didn't have it with me--I have never had to use it). So anyway the little dog is on my left barking and the pit was on my right going crazy. I unclipped my right foot and lifted my knee up high, as he was going for that leg, then he lunged at my hand which I moved and he caught my handlebars with his teeth, ripping my tape. I continued pedaling with my left foot and finally they gave up. Been stewing on it all day. I will probably call the county to file a complaint, but I really want to ride out there again with reinforcements and spray that su**** right between the eyes.

Anyone have a good dog story.

I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place.

2. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I think a good cap stun type spray is a great deterrent. it's non lethal. It's effective. And it'll let the owner know their little Precious just may not be the perfect dog they think it is.

Also, just maybe try the hot dog trick and make friends. If that doesn't work spray 'em down good.

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I carry spray on the bike, and I use it if thay chase me . the spray I use is called Dog-Repelent . it don't seam to hurt them, thay just stop and walk away.Thay don't rub there eyes or sneze or show any sign it bothers them.

4. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Banckchick, I had basically the same scenario last year. They never got close enough to have dinner:) though ! I bought a product called Sabre and have never once had to use it. I liked fact it has UV Marking Dye should the need arise to ID any 4 legged or not "animal". At the time it was all I could find locally. I have sprayed water from water bottles and that seems to work. I have to say the few times I have been chased I have been completely surprised by how fast a dog can actually run !

5. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I live in the country and being said there are no laws that say dogs can't run loose. So every ride is an experence. I have never had a dog bit but hitting a dog with my bike is a real worry. Most of the time I just squart them with my water bottle and they go away. I do have one that is very aggressive and I think he now comes out to get a drink. I started carring pepper spray and that does work just be careful of the wind.

6. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Take a look at this thread, lots of useful info there...

7. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

I used to carry a water pistol filled with cayenne pepper, crushed and dried habanero pepper, ground table pepper and rubbing alcohol, bright red rit dye with just a little bit of water.

When an aggressive dog would come at me I did not want to just stop it, I wanted to debiliitate it so it could not continue coming after me or any one else. I had to use it on more than one occasion. Once I even had the owner come after me. I explained to him, while aiming the water gun at his face, his dog gave chase to attack me on a public roadway and if he attempts an assault on me I will spray him in the face too. He backed off and walked away.

I have not carried it in a while. Have not had to. But I still have it just in case I ever need it again. Of course with Sioux City's new vicious dog laws any dog that gives chase and aggressivley tries to attack me I will have it destroyed. Any new Pit Bulls are now banned in Sioux City and the ones grand fathered in have to be registered or they have to be moved outside the city limits if they are not they will be caught and destroyed.

The thing is none of this is the dogs fault. There are no such things as bad dogs, just bad dog owners. Perhaps if the law were more severe directly toward the bad dog owners. Like force them to be registered, moved outside the city or even destroyed maybe people would train their dogs not to be attack animals or not to be aggressive and keep better track of their animals.

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I get barked at and chased but I've never been attacked. The dog attacking you would be grounds to end the dogs life in Texas. It's a shame because the owners are the problem.

9. KHoulne

KHoulne New Member

What works best for me is just being the bigger dog. Yell a sharp and quick "NO!" that usually startles them enough to throw them off. If they are really aggressive, I'll face them down and do a lot of NO's and GO HOMES. Usually works.

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I tried growling at one once in an attempt to be the big dog and the dog just got angrier.

11. SUX VR40 Rider

BTW if the dog does lunge at you to attack, your natural protective insinct will be to put your arm up to protect your chest, face, neck and head. The dog will grab your arm as a result. When this happens jam your arm all the way back to it throat. This will open the dogs jaws wider and it can not bite down as hard and it will cause pain and discomfort to the dog because it is shutting off it's airway and choking it. While you are doing this you can use your other arm/hand or feet and legs to strike the under side and belly of the dog. Aim for the soft fleshy part just below the ribs and hit as hard as you can. If it is a male dog you can strike his genital area. It hurts just as bad, if not worse as it does on a human male, even if the dog is neutered. Another vulnerable spot is the neck, just behind the ears and the throat. The inside of the ear is also a good place to strike an attacking dog if you can aim that small and get to it.

Yes you will be injured but if you remember to do these things you will survive and may only need stitches.

How do I know? I was attacked once, not while riding bike, and jammed my arm to the back of the dogs throat, kicked the hell out of it's under belly with my foot and struck it in the side of the neck. The dog was so badly injured from me it had to be put down. That did not bother me one bit, it was attacking me and I did what I had to do in self defense to stop it. Luckily I only had bite wounds on my forearm, but did not need stitches.

Where people often need stitches is when they try to pull their arm back and out of the dogs mouth causing further injury. The dogs canine teeth are curved inward like a hook. So if attacked and the dog grabs your arm you should resist the instinct to do this and instead shove your arm further into the dogs mouth. It will hurt like hell but it works and it won't hurt as much as if you try to pull your arm back.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Good points freemason! I hope to never be in that situation but you never know.

13. 2WheelsInCincy

2WheelsInCincy New Member

Well my story sounds boring now. I went on a ride w/ coworkers out in amish country, we had 3 different encounters. The first gave chase to the lead guy, I passed the dog and scared the sh*t out of it. The next was a little, bitty thing yapping away. I told it to quit, and it gave one last yip, defiantly. The third was just curious about us, and I'm glad it didn't give chase. I was pooped.

14. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I'm glad I've never had those kinds of problems with dogs. If I ever had to resort to the hot dog trick, it would not be to make friends. The hot dog would be stuffed with laxative tablets the first time. If it was needed a second time... Animal Control would not have to be called.

15. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well there is one other thing you must consider too. You need to go back and talk to the owner and tell them you got a bad bite. Why? You need to find out if they had that dog vaccinated for rabies and if not that dog HAS to be put up for a vet exam. Hate to remind you that even now rabies is still a possibility and if you can not confirm that the dog is clean, most drs would recommend rabies shots I suspect and they aren't pleasant, comfortable or fun. Not getting the shots is even worse, if the dog hasn't had their shots.

16. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Rabies tests are even worse for the dog. From what I've heard, they have to culture the brain tissue. Sucks to be the dog in that case. You'd have to at least start the rabies series until the tests came back.

In Michigan the law reads that in case of an attack, the owner must show why the dog should NOT be destroyed. The victim has to press the charges, though.

17. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well don't know about the state of the original poster, but in many states a quarantine of the animal for observation for X number of days to observe for any signs. Different places may have different regs, but call your family doctor for information on what they think you need to do to proceed and be safe. I might wait to see if they had both paperwork to confirm the dog was indeed safe or not. Personally if they showed me paperwork, I would confirm it with a visit to the vet that gave the vaccinations. Not something to take lightly and if the dog broke the skin the risk is there.

18. SUX VR40 Rider

Just so everyone knows rabies shots are not given in the stomach anymore! It is a series of 5 or more shots, but in the arm and/or the buttocks. Fairly painless.

19. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Good to know, but every dr that ever told me that "this won't hurt a bit" lied. On a second thought, you never want to get a shot from the dr anyway. You want the nurse. Nurses give them all day long. Dr's as a rule get the nurse to give them for them and might actually give one only once and a while.

20. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Sorry if I missed it but did you get rabies shots before? Curious the side effects if any.