Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a caleb bamboo frame on eBay for $300 dollar and put a bike together (it's the one on the picture) the thing flies like an arrow, and the ride is indeed smoother (I tend to ride the same route every week, so I know the bumps on the road and I can definitely tell the difference from my old aluminum bike? Is there anybody else out there with a bamboo bike?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Worth the experience. the frames are going on eBay for $300. From this supplier in Wisconsin called wheels&sprocket.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I went to a steel bike for a better ride, but the Bamboo bike seams like it would be evean a better ride. I would like to ride one someday, I allso would like to ride a titanium bike someday.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I think their cool looking myself, and if had the chance to buy one for $300 I would, but I'm not so interested in one that I would spend $6,000 for one. Having never rode one I can't comment on how they ride. I have read the Calfee site about their bamboo bikes and they way the yack it up I'm not so sure if I would own any other brand but theirs. But they do make it sound like a great bike. Calfee says theirs are easy to repair in case you crash on one, so that is a interesting plus; but they claim bamboo is far stronger then Carbon fiber, I don't have a clue if that's true or not; and they say it uses a great deal less natural resources to make and the manufacturing process they use barely pollutes unlike the manufacturing of a CF or AL or TI or Steel bike that pollutes like crazy.

After you ridden yours for awhile let us know what you think of the ride. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To date I have completed about 150 miles in the new bamboo bike, an I am quite happy with it. I would highly recommend it. I saw the Calfee website, but they are not the only ones out there. There is a company called Boo Bicycles that makes a bamboo/ carbon fiber bike that apparently is as good as any racing bike out there. The one I have is called Caleb, and is a bamboo/ aluminum frame. There is a company in Wisconsin called wheels and sprocket that sells then on eBay for $350 a frame with a best offer option. I offered $300 and they took it.

Another company that makes wooden frames is called Renovo from California. They make some of the prettiest frames I have ever seen. They are works of art. Prices are way above what my paycheck can cope with though.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
To date I have completed about 150 miles in the new bamboo bike, an I am quite happy with it. I would highly recommend it. I saw the Calfee website, but they are not the only ones out there. There is a company called Boo Bicycles that makes a bamboo/ carbon fiber bike that apparently is as good as any racing bike out there. The one I have is called Caleb, and is a bamboo/ aluminum frame. There is a company in Wisconsin called wheels and sprocket that sells then on eBay for $350 a frame with a best offer option. I offered $300 and they took it.

Another company that makes wooden frames is called Renovo from California. They make some of the prettiest frames I have ever seen. They are works of art. Prices are way above what my paycheck can cope with though.
You have to read the Calfee site better. They explain that their the only ones who make bamboo with hemp fiber lugs instead of carbon or aluminum, and those lugs failed over time and the hemp hasn't. But regardless I won't be buying one with the price so prohibitive...but congratulation to you for finding one at a steal of a price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think this frame would fall apart. The lugs and he bamboo are glued together with epoxy glue. If it last 10 years, that's way longer than most people own a bike for.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I don't think this frame would fall apart. The lugs and he bamboo are glued together with epoxy glue. If it last 10 years, that's way longer than most people own a bike for.
That was what Calfee reported as their findings.

Why do people not keep their bikes for more then 10 years? Do they just stop working after that? Do they wear out after 10 years? I bought my oldest bike in 84 and rode it a lot up until this year when I decided to retire it until I can get it repainted. My next oldest bike(s) that I bought new was in 87, a road and a mountain bike both still in use. I have several others but they were bought used from people that stored them for at least 23 years. And they all work fine. Sheldon Brown rode a 1918 bike to work a lot, said it was his best riding bike, it didn't wear out in 10 years.

Personally I wouldn't buy a bike that had a 10 year life expectancy, that would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10 years was just a number I picked out of thin air. I'm sure that with regular maintenance and good care it would last indefinitely. Calfee's frame has a 10year warranty vs a 1 year for the frame I have which is more or less what you'll get on an average carbon fiber bike. Calfee's cost almost 9 times more though. The boo bicycle frame which is a bamboo carbon fiber mix also has a 10 year warranty. Bottom line is, having the lugs come loose is the last thing I'm worried about. Pandas on the other hand, those are a real threat!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
"Personally I wouldn't buy a bike that had a 10 year life expectancy, that would be a waste of money."

Most of the frames I've owned in the last twenty years cracked well before they were ten years old. Seven or eight in total, steel and aluminum.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Cracks in steel or aluminum can be repaired. Bamboo could be repaired as well. Many of the current glues on the market are stronger than the wood itself and the wood will fail before the glue bonding the crack together will fail. Properly cared for the bamboo frame should last a long time.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
"Personally I wouldn't buy a bike that had a 10 year life expectancy, that would be a waste of money."

Most of the frames I've owned in the last twenty years cracked well before they were ten years old. Seven or eight in total, steel and aluminum.
What the heck are you doing to your bikes? Or, why do you think their breaking if your not doing anything to cause the damage?

I have a bike I bought new in 84, it has 150,000 miles on it, the frame is still good to go, though the paint is not after 19 years of S. California sun. And 10 of those years were racing all over S. California.

I don't know anyone who has your kind of luck with frames...I did know one guy though, he was a body builder weighed around 240. His first bike was one of the Vitus 749 models, after a month the frame was broke, Vitus replaced, about a month later it broke. By the time the 3rd one was replaced he heard about Klien so he got it and hung up the 3rd Vitus which he never rode, this I think was around 1989. about 8 months later the Klien broke, Klien replaced, the 2nd one lasted 5 years and it broke, so he bought a Cannondale, broke two of those in roughly a 7 year period. Then he decides to try steel, so he contacted Grant at Rivendell and told Grant his problems and that he wanted a bike to go touring with. Grant had a Rivendell built to handle the demands of this guy. That was in 2003, my friend has been touring on that bike every summer since then and rides it when not touring...it hasn't broke, but it's not been 10 years old yet either. The Vitus still hangs in his garage never mounted.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I try to unweight when I go over potholes and curbs, but I do overload it sometimes.

A bamboo bike I spotted in my travels.

2x5 shifting. The front shifts by hitting the button in the middle of the crank with your heel.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I try to unweight when I go over potholes and curbs, but I do overload it sometimes.

A bamboo bike I spotted in my travels.

2x5 shifting. The front shifts by hitting the button in the middle of the crank with your heel.
I had no idea when you said delivery you meant that!! I thought you might deliver contracts or the such. Then I thought you were putting me on!!!

I can see why you break bikes, my god man that must be quiet a workout hauling stuff like that around town.

Have you looked into industrial bikes made for that kind of work? Trek corporation has a Gary Fisher bike called the Transport which is designed to do what you do; see: Transport+ - Trek Bicycle

I do have to say this; I've never seen a bicycle doing what you do here in America, I've seen similar stuff in third world countries, just not here.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I would like to see a Trek Transport transport the load in the picture I posted of my trailer! :D

I've looked into all the options and found the [email protected] trailer to have greater capacity than a cargo bike, less costly and easier to store. The wheelbase on the Transport is short, notice most of the cargo area is behind the rear axle. Put a couple hundred pounds behind the axle and watch out!

Surly Big Dummy is a more capable cargo bike, but I don't have space to store one and it can't carry as much. My rig can carry more than some cars, and it does on occasion.

Most of the frames cracked before I started hauling freight. I was a regular bike messenger for many years.

The reason you only see cargo bikes in China and India is because those are the only places you can live off what this job pays! :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts