Ban cyclist on Iowa roads?

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by SUX VR40 Rider, Feb 16, 2010.

1. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

First it was a former Iowa senator who shall not be named. Then it was the counties and thier insurance company, then a safety coalition. Now it is Iowa-Nebraska Equipment Dealers, or INED. I have to wonder who is next at trying to resrict or ban cyclists in Iowa from the roadways?

Here is the latest:

I am not sure if the author will rogers is hiding his and the INED's position on wanting to restrict cyclists rights to the roadways under hte guise of stating more education needs to be done, etc. or not. He used the word possible when refering to how we should ride to the right. Iowa law states the word practicable. If it were changed to possible there would be a restriction on cyclists and where we can position ourselves on the roadways.

I can't even begin to state what I think about his crude comment about just because we have the right we will not get squashed by a 10,000 pound truck. That is far out there as far as I am concerned. He thinks we have no clue about the risks of riding bike. He assumes too much. I wonder if he knows what the word assume means?

If the posted limit is greater than 40 mph, consider another route? Give me a freaking break! This would keep Iowa cyclists in the towns and cities only and ban us from riding on any county or state hwy. So much for events like RAGBRAI and other bike rides.

I always ride defensivley but never assume anything. Read what I said above about the word assume.

What do you think? Do you think rogers has a good idea at wanting cyclists to use a alternate route if the speed is 40 mph or higher? what about riding as far right as possible instead of practicable?

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I don't understand the hate that non-cyclists have for cyclists on the road. I live in a town where there are not options for a cyclist to ride on a shoulder as there are none and there are no alternative routes. People flip out having to wait behind a cyclist or go around them. I guess it's our growing culture of wanting everything now that patience even on a practical level is being lost.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Great way to put it!

I don't know what it is about cars and driving that can turn even what usually are the nicest people into pure a-holes. I've seen my sweet, little sister morph into a monster behind the wheel. Maybe some psychology grad student can do/has done a thesis project on that.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm sorry your state is full of yokels. Mine too. I still don't support your common sense legislation but I like the idea of vocalizing fears and concerns on both sides. Iowa is mainly rural right? So mainly 40+ mph roads in the middle of no where?

5. SUX VR40 Rider

Here is an email I sent to rogers and his frist response:

6. SUX VR40 Rider

Here is my response and his next one:

7. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

At least you got a response. Any move forward is a good move.