Two Spoke Forums banner

Bar ends...ON A HYBRID???

91K views 68 replies 28 participants last post by  xjken99 
#1 ·
Well I was advised that bar ends,in the name of changing hand positions,could help me with my numb hands on my long rides,and help with hill climbs if Im so inclined(Get it?Hills?Inclined??? I KILL ME!!!) Anywho,any opinions on this? Do any of you guys use bar ends for commuting on a hybrid or straight bar road bike? And does it indeed help on the hills?
I orederd mine from ...cough...cough...Nashbar..cough...

#3 ·
I have bar ends on both a Giant Cypress Hybrid, and a Surly LHT with flat bars. I ride 50 to 70 mile trips fairly regularly, and the bar ends make riding much more comfortable, regardless of whether it's on the flats, on a hill, or into a headwind.
Kool thats nice to know,Im definatly looking forward to trying them out.I get "crap"from a friend all the time because I ride a hybrid commuter,and he is strictly a road bike rider,he tells me all the time that my bike weighs too much with all that I have,that I dont need a rack,trunk bag,giant lock,etc.I Cant wait till he gets an eye full of my latest upgrade :) What can I say,just call me fred!!!

#7 ·
cyclops here is the answer for your roadie dogging you about weight. Hey your bike needs to lose weight too, it just needs to come off the engine.

In my case its true. I thought about "Weight weenies ride road bikes" bumper sticker. Fred's like me don't care about those things.
LOL!!! Thats pretty funny man,Im gonna tell him that for sure :)

#8 ·
Yes but you are getting a better workout pushng all that weight around. I have grips with a small bar end built in, I like them.
You know,thats kinda what I was thinking too,I mean its an aluminum frame 2010 JAMIS Allegro1,so its not that heavy to start with.When you add that stuff I guess it does add a little weight bit Im kool with it.

#10 ·
There is weight and then there is weight. It's one thing to have a very heavy vintage bike and add weight to that. A few ounces here and there can add up, and if you are competing its a big deal. Situation makes a difference too. Would you carry a Park tool set with you on a 5 mile fun ride near the house?? Probably not. On a 50 mile weekend ride? Still just an unlikely or maybe. On a 500 mile tour? In my case probably.

I don't really notice that much difference when I add my camera gear to the bike. My camera gear isn't typical. Instead of 24 ounces or so, its closer to 24 lbs. I can't honestly say that you would get a better work out, but if it serves a function or makes you more comfortable, that alone would be justification and worth the weight to go ahead and add it.

#11 ·
There is weight and then there is weight. It's one thing to have a very heavy vintage bike and add weight to that. A few ounces here and there can add up, and if you are competing its a big deal. Situation makes a difference too. Would you carry a Park tool set with you on a 5 mile fun ride near the house?? Probably not. On a 50 mile weekend ride? Still just an unlikely or maybe. On a 500 mile tour? In my case probably.

I don't really notice that much difference when I add my camera gear to the bike. My camera gear isn't typical. Instead of 24 ounces or so, its closer to 24 lbs. I can't honestly say that you would get a better work out, but if it serves a function or makes you more comfortable, that alone would be justification and worth the weight to go ahead and add it.
Well my rack is seat post mounted w/custom supports,so the whole rig is quick release;ie I can get rid of some weight quick if I just want to ride...
But as I frequently ride for fun or commuting,and I just like having my wallet,money,cell,and if Im going to stop somewhere I need a lock...and if Im stopping with money,Im buying something and need to be able to take it home,so kind of a snowball effect I guess.
But that being said Im a runner 1st and foremost,Im also a bit of a healthnut and cardio nut so its not that big of a deal for me to pop of the rack,ride with the bare minimum on a group ride and more than keep-up with the roadies who are just weekend warriors :) As you suggested about other riders "engines",my engine is efficient,but Ill admit when Im mid pack,on a group ride full of road bikes,and Im on a hybrid...I think I kinda piss some people off:thumbsup:

#12 ·
And why all the hate for nashbar on these forums? I have seen some negative comments for sure,but is there something I should know? I just got free shipping on everything,and I even placed a 2nd order just now for 2 water bottles(clif shot brand),a matching cage (blackburn)for the one I already have,and set of sigma front/rear lights(A flashing front light for day time use,and the tail for when I do take off my rack,as my current taillight is connected to the rear rack)..And I got all that stuff dirt cheap.I had to look,and pick and choose my stuff,but in the end I got some swwwweeeeet deals.

#13 ·
bar ends and such

I really like bar end shifters and I have used them on quite a few different bikes that I own I have a set of old Suntour friction that seemed to do the job and the seventh Shimano 7 speed. I like to use them on bikes with drop bars but I've seen them successfully installed on flat bars.

I think that saddle position has almost as much of an effect on how you approach the handlebars as handlebar placement. Something to think about.

mike

#14 ·
I added some bar ends to my hybrid bar to give me the option of sitting up just that little bit straighter at times. They keep me away from immediate use of the brakes and shifters so I typically only use them on nice long clear stretches but I absolutely love them. They also prevented some possible damage to the bike this summer when a lady let her dog run right in front of me on an asphalt city trail and I took to the ditch instead of the uglier option of getting caught up in a mess of old lady, poodle and leash.

#15 ·
I added them to my 2012 Jamis Coda Sport, with having Reiter's Syndrome (chronic arthritis), I need more than one hand position and really can't bend enough to make the lower part of "drop bars" on road bikes usefull. Although I might switch to "Euro Trekking Bars", (also called: Butterfly Bars) as they have multi-postions without having to be crunched over like drop bars. For now the bar ends are worth their "weight"! :)

#17 ·
This sounds interesting. I may try bar ends.... do they just readily attach to standard handle bars? Can I leave my Ergon grips on?
Looking at your grips, I'd think you'd have no problems, just "unlock" the grips and loosen your shifter/brake to give just enough space to put your bar end on. Then just tighten everything back up, usually a "inch" or little more is all that's required on the ends of the bars to put on bar ends. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
And why all the hate for nashbar on these forums? I have seen some negative comments for sure,but is there something I should know? I just got free shipping on everything,and I even placed a 2nd order just now for 2 water bottles(clif shot brand),a matching cage (blackburn)for the one I already have,and set of sigma front/rear lights(A flashing front light for day time use,and the tail for when I do take off my rack,as my current taillight is connected to the rear rack)..And I got all that stuff dirt cheap.I had to look,and pick and choose my stuff,but in the end I got some swwwweeeeet deals.
There are many reasons:

1. Nashbar (aka Performance) had security issues a while ago where people who purchased from them with credit cards found exciting unauthorized charges on their cards from a 3rd party scammer.

2. Internet stores are causing the death of local bike shops. People like to blame it on the shops themselves, saying that they're over-charging for everything. The blame is with the companies that are selling to the internet stores for prices low enough that they can sell for less than I (a LBS) can buy wholesale.

3. Nashbar/Performance have begun their world conquest. In the past year, I have lost two of my product lines. These are lines that aren't that well known around here, so I've had to sell people on them. That's a lot of work on my part and for what? Now those people think I was talking crap, since I don't carry those brands anymore. No, I just can't buy them anymore. Nashbar killed Diadora for bike shops. They've been selling for FAR below wholesale. The US distributor gave them the choice - drop Nashbar or we drop you. Diadora chose Nashbar. It was the same story for Santini. The distributor told them they would drop them if they didn't stop selling directly to Performance. Santini chose Performance.

#20 ·
bjjoondo;56 862 said:
Looking at your grips, I'd think you'd have no problems, just "unlock" the grips and loosen your shifter/brake to give just enough space to put your bar end on. Then just tighten everything back up, usually a "inch" or little more is all that's required on the ends of the bars to put on bar ends. :thumbsup:
Thanks... for some reason I thought my Ergon grips were "close ended" with aluminum ends which would keep me from using those grips if I wanted bar ends... I see now that there are plastic plugs in the bars that I just pull out ;?) I wasn't gonna 86 those nice $30.00 grips to buy another set of grips so bar ends would work... so you're right, its doable!

#22 ·
Looks like a "cheapo" way to get "AREO BARS", LOL! I guess it would work ok but their not "close together" and have the elbow pads like areo bars on TT bikes. But hey if it works, then it's all GOOD! ;)

#23 ·
Cannondale XYZ bars on my Marin Mill Valley. Stock on some 90s Cannondale MTBs, given to me by a friend who didn't want them anymore.

Curved barends of unknown origin on my Cannondale H300. Another gift from another friend who didn't want them. They feel sort of like drops, but very unergonomic (like drops?). I like them less after riding a couple of centuries with them.

I splurged on these carbon barends after receiving compensation for damages to my Mill Valley. One of the very cute little carbon stock ergo barends was damaged in a collision so I bought these for replacement. Now on my Marin Bobcat Trail, a hybridized MTB.

#25 ·
Just a quick update, I took my first real ride today since installing the drop bars... I wish I did this a long time ago. As I suspected, they work good for me, especially when going up the steeper hills. I like the upright grip as I pull the bars towards me with every pedal mash, its kinda feels like stomach crunches with every pedal...I just seem to get more efficiant power strokes... and its just nice having a totally different ergonomic position as a option. I would give them a try for anyone on the fence wondering about them. I did tilt them up more since I took the photo posted above for a better feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.