Bar Ends

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by MaggieMae, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Guest

Is it a good idea to get the bar ends, or would it be better to stick with normal flat bars?

2. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I don't like bar ends, but I have run them in the past. They don't seem to really help much. I also have a problem with getting way to close to, or clipping trees. Catching a bar end on a tree=death and pain.

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I had a really bad crash once cuz my bar end cought a branch and I supermaned OTB into some rocks. I cracked a couple of ribs which really sucks BTW.

For a typical mtn bike I use a riser bar and on my singlespeeds I use an On One Mary Bar. The swept back Mary offers a more natural hand position and greater leverage for climbing.
    [​IMG]
    If you really want to try out bar ends, the best I've used are the Cane Creeks. I used these for a couple of years on a riser bar until I switched to the Mary.
    [​IMG]

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

I think bar ends are kind of a waste but maybe thats just me. The only ones i have used that are semi comfortable are the Cane Creek ergo's but still i used them so rarely I just tossed em. Personal preference for most. What would be your reason for wanting/needing them?

5. Gomez

Gomez Member

I like bar ends because it gives me another position for my hands to rest and or pull for the long climbs. Personal preference as my buddy don't use them.

6. nhcop

nhcop New Member

I have the cane creek ones pictured above and mostly use them when my hands get tired of being in the same position.

7. Morgen

Morgen Guest

love em

I enjoy long technical rock climbs and bar ends really help me. but yea, it's a personal pref sort of thing.