Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BD bike I bought last year, it's a Windsor Stratford and I quite like it even though I had to replace the junk Sora rear RD within 50 miles. In many respects I like riding this bike more that my Spec Roubaix because I'm not afraid to be a little rough with it. Even though it's a hybrid, it really rides more like a road bike.

What I don't like is the straight bar. After 20 miles or so, my hands are in pain, even though I added bar ends to provide some additional grips. I'm thinking about options for bars, like maybe mustache bars or bull horns - but I've never ridden with them. I still like to take it off the road, not MTB style, but dirt and gravel roads or hard pack trails. Any opinions?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the bullhorns on my Windsor, (The Hour) but before you swap bars, make sure it's not a fit issue.

You mean as in putting too much weight on my hands? I have messed around with tweaking here and there, but when it comes to upper body position, I'm not sure. It feels great till the hands start to ache and that hasn't changed with my adjustments. Is there a good way to know if the upper body fit is right without simply taking it on the road?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leg extension is where it should be, that one is pretty easy. The saddle and bar elevation and length are more difficult for me to check. I've adjusted my saddle so my leg is close to 90 degs when the petal is parallel to the ground. I don't know how to tell what's right with the bar adjustments. I suppose I could go have it fitted, but that's 50 bucks I could spend on more bike gear ;)

It doesn't match up too well with the Roubaix, the geometry is different.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Well, if you don't want to pay for a fitting, I would try some MTB style risers with a bit of pullback first. Bullhorns will require a shorter stem and most likely, some new brake levers. Here's my Hour, with bullhorns.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts