Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a nice BATAVUS road bike my size in steel REYNOLDS 501
I like the looks of it. Anyone have any knowlage of this brand?
I have a TREK 500 in 501 and it performs very will so I like the tubing.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Batavus is, I believe, a dutch brand who are rather well known for their everyday, commuter/utilitarian bikies. They appear to be well made and durable. I am not familiar with their road bikes. If they have the reputation of their commuter bikes, then you should give them a serious look.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got to ride the 61cm Batavus. Easy rider not fast or anything of the sort. The paint was not clear coated and has not stood the test of time. I bought it for $140 to just play with. Put on some 600 brakes and longer stem. Has internal cable routing was a little hard to remove and install cables. One small ding in the top tube but not a deal killer. Wheels are not common brand, will replace with some out of my wheel collection.
Overall it's just a average touring style bike with nice looking lug work and nicely done fork. My Japinese steel bikes feel overall much better.
Wish I could post pictures here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As noted, Batavus is/was a Dutch firm that made pretty nice bikes. Sound like you paid a fair price for it, although I would be a bit concerned about any frame dings. Should be all British threading, so you should be able to exchange or upgrade parts easily. I am not sure if they are still around anymore-if so , perhaps still in Europe, but they have not exported to the U. S., as far as I know, for decades.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I stand well corrected. I have not seen or heard from Batavus in forever. What kind of bikes does Batavus now sell in the U. S. ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts