Batteries Recharged--thank you, bicycle and nice weather

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Wow...what a weekend! After a 2 week throat infection, some really crappy weather, and lots of hours at work so far this year; the stars aligned this weekend.

Saturday was about the most perfect weather day this year. I took advantage of that with a 50 mile ride with a good friend. We sprinted for every sign which seemed to be about 6 and kept a brisk enough pace to get the legs to hurting, even though that wasn't a lot of mileage.

Saturday afternoon, the wife and I hiked with some other friends. Following the hike, we all got together at our house and I smoked some sausages on the Big Green Egg and we hung out the rest of the evening.

Yesterday, my same riding buddy and I went out for 40 miles with the goal of setting a baseline time for the uphill Mt. Gaylor Time Trial race course. The race is in September, and we wanted to know where we stand now to track improvement over the coming months. The start of the course was the halfway point of the route and we had already climbed the other side of the hill. The course is 9.25 miles with 1500' of elevation gain. I was hoping my time would be in the low 40s but I finished with a 39:57. I'm happy enough with that for this time of year and considering Saturday's ride and the ride to the course was already in the legs. That time would have put me 3rd place in last years Cat 3. My goal is to get down to 35 flat by the race.

Last night I grilled steaks and just relaxed with the wife (I know, it was a day early, Hack). We had a nice ice-wine for dessert and I had a Lindeman's Pomme and Frambois Lambic to celebrate my little victory of the day.

To top that off, I really enjoyed watching Voeckler win another stage at Paris-Nice. I've been a big fan of his since that crazy effort of his to earn and keep yellow in the '04 Tour for as long as he did.

All-in-all it was the best weekend in quite a while and exactly what I needed. I hope all of you had as great of a weekend or have one soon!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Sounds like a very nice weekend.

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Do you find you're more ready for the hike than those who don't cycle?

4. Xela

Hard to tell from the hike we did. It wasn't very strenuous, I planned it that way for some of the people I knew were going, and we took it pretty slow since some of the wife's friends brought their miniature Dachshunds. Those short little legs can't cover a lot of ground very quickly.

But yeah, I'd say the general cardio work from the bike helps me hiking.

5. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

that sounds like an amazing weekend!

6. Xela

It was. Still buzzing from it. Weather's looking to be great again this weekend, so I'm hoping for a repeat. How's Sedona's weather this time of year?

7. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

unbelievable.... it is about 75 F and no humidity with very little if any breeze. it will start getting warmer soon but with the low humidity only august is bad. wonderful place to live for a cyclist minus a lack of bike lanes and tons of rough roads