Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Looking at getting a Specialized Allez Sport Compact (Specialized Bicycle Components : Allez Sport Compact) as my first road bike for a duathlon in November am training for.

This will be my first 'real' road bike. The store I went to only has Trek's and Specialized's. Are there other brands/bikes I should be considering that are comparable?

They had me ride a Roubaix Elite and it felt much lighter and zippier, but it is $1900 - way outside my budget.

Are there other bikes that will feel closer to the Roubaix yet won't be as expensive?

Thanks,

·
889 Posts
The Sectour is the aluminium version of the Roubaix. Give that one a try. I have a friend who has one and it's a nice bike.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Check out the Spec Spectour and the Felt Z series. When I got my Roubaix I also rode a... I believe it was Z85.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do all of these compare to the Cannondale Synapse? It's my understanding that the Synapse is a pretty comfortable road bike. They all seem to be in the same price-range, relatively.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5, which is an aluminum frame with carbon fork and 105 group. I love it, checked out the Secteur and Allez Comp, but liked the Cannondale the most. Where are you located?
Good to know. I've considered the Synapse and the CAAD but from what I understand, the Synapse is a more comfortable bike, which is what I want. I need to just go and test ride both, I think.

I'm in SoCal.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
The Synapse gets its plush ride from the chainstays and seatstays, known as S.A.V.E. which stands for "Synapse Active Vibration Elimination."

It is going to ride a LOT smoother than the CAAD bikes, plus most Synapse models come with true wheelsets rather than a hodepodge of parts.

One caveat, the Pro Logo Kappa Pas saddle that comes on them is not to many people's likings; I ended up replacing mine with a Selle Italia Flight Max/Max Flight (?) which is eons ahead in comfort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts