Beginner Needs a Road Bike; 58-60cm

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by showland3, Jan 14, 2010.

1. showland3

showland3 New Member

I am looking for a road bike to get me started. My goal is to train through the summer and then complete a 4-day, 400 mile ride over Labor Day. Nothing too fancy or expensive, just a solid, good quality road bike to get me through my first year of cycling as I break into the sport. I am 6'0" which according to my research puts me into a 58-60cm size bike.

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

100 miles a day for 4 days is a pretty lofty goal. I wish you the best of luck.

Got a budget in mind?

3. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Start Now

Start doing something today like walking or jogging. To ride 4x100 miles is pretty tough on a trained person. To ride it slowly, as a beginner will, is even harder for you are out there on the road for much longer than a faster rider would be. Think of it like this: A top marathoner runs 26 miles in a tad over 2 hours. A wanker runs it in 4-5 hours. His effort (the wanker) is the same as the good runner but he's out there suffering for twice as long. One hundred miles four days in a row is work for a pro rider. It's the Bataan Death March for a beginner.

But good luck.

4. showland3

showland3 New Member

I have begun training by doing some running, but need to get the bike to start training for real. I am looking to stay around $400.

5. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Find a $300 bike and spend the other hundred on a Brooks B-17 saddle. This is the preferred saddle for distance riders.

6. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Someone earlier on another thread mentioned buying a used bike from a bike store. I think this is good advice. You can be pretty sure it will be in good working order and priced to move. Hit the local bike shops and tell them what you're about.

Oh, I'd get a small syringe of morphine to tuck under my Brooks saddle. Come that last day it will look lovely for sure.

7. frogonawire

frogonawire New Member

59 cm bike for sale

Did you ever buy a bike? I have a decent one in your price range. I realize you posted this awhile ago.

8. signwerks

signwerks New Member

What do you have to offer frog? My son is interested in something in that price range.

9. frogonawire

frogonawire New Member

Picture available

I now have a picture of the bike, if interested.

10. signwerks

signwerks New Member

pics requested

Please post or email pics when you can