Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to enter my first road race shortly and would like to know if anyone could shed some light on what to expect?

I'm more nervous in the starting gate, so to speak, as I've never road with many riders starting at once, or with anyone else for that matter. I figure the faster and more experienced riders in front and I just take off as best I can, I'm just worried we will be so jammed up that I may run into someone.

Any advice for a new competitor?

Thanks much!

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Road races can involve both team and individual competition. They range from the one-day road race, criterium, and time trial to multi-stage events like the Tour de France. Can you tell us a little more about the race in which you will be participating?

Many riders spend the winter to train. Have you spend any time preparing for the race?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the reply. Well, as I stated, I'm a beginner and have never competed in any form of cycling. I am not on a team as of yet, so for now just as a single competitor.

That being said, I would like to compete in a ride coming up. They have a 10, 25 and 40mile. I am not up to 40 or 25 yet, but I do 8-13 daily and up hilly terrain. So I think I should start with the 10. I know its a short distance, but for a first time I figure it should be good experience, and I also don't want to be a spaz to other riders. The course is mainly flat with one hill. Considering where I ride is mainly hilly, I feel I should be ok. My concerns are race etiquette etc. Being new and not sure how I stack against others, do I start in the back, do I stay clear of faster riders? Again, I know this first one is not much in the grand scheme, but slightly daunting to a newbie.

From there I would like to participate in an upcoming 43M, approx 3 mos from now, but not sure if I will be ready. I've scouted the course already and there are quite a bit of hills, so I am not sure if I will be ready for that distance just yet.

Gotta start somewhere eh?

As for training, yes. I've been at it for about a month now since the weather here has finally broken and allowed me to get out much more I have been logging a lot of miles. My route is currently from 8-15 miles which contains both short steep hills as well as long hills. Except for one spot of about 1/10m I can traverse them all, albeit a bit tired. I do get further up that hill each time, oddly enough its called Pleasant Hill, I call it something else.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
If you are doing 8 to 10, 25 will be easy and 40 might be posable if you are in good shape. It is funny how far you can go when rideing with outher people. Is this a race or a ride if it is a ride a partner is nice to ride and talk with. The main thing is to have fun push yourself a little but not hurt yourself. Keep yourself hydrated 2 to 4 oz every mile is what I try to do more if it is real hot. and a cupple of Fignewtons every 1/2 houre is what I like. I am not a racer just a slow old man.
Have fun

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
As far as etiquette you might be over thinking this. Don't be pushy, line up where you can comfortably, be prepared for the slow start, and maintain a safe distance from the other riders so you don't hurt anyone. If there is a big crash stop and be careful as you pass. If someone presses past you in an aggressive manner, smile and just ignore.

One other thought I had was that there might be a riding club that you can join. This will majorly help you prepare for the longer ride. Plus, there are a lot a great stories to hear and experience to discover. Enjoy the trip, the destination is of secondary importance. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas!

@ Wild Yes, this is a race for charity. Doing it for the experience. Unfortunately I do not know anyone that rides, it would be nice to have someone else there to help push each other. I am hoping some friends may take the sport up, but not holding my breath.
You say you are a slow old man, but you are out riding, you're ahead of the game right there! I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

@ Gandalfe Beginners worries, I got em. Just want to do my part in not being THAT guy. As far as passing, if that opportunity comes up, does one call out that they are passing?
As for a club, the local bike shop has rides every week. They have told me to come join them and I will be doing just that, soon. Maybe it will lead to more.
I'm doing this for different reasons, 1) Just turned 40, recovered real well from devastating back injury and surgery and I hate running. This will help me get back in shape. 2) I've loved biking forever, just life gets in the way of the fun stuff, now its time to play again. Trying to enjoy the ride and be the best I can on the way.

I thank you both for the replies again and I'm sure I will have many more questions. I will try to find the answers first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
just make it a good experience and a friendly competition.... im sure youll have fun interacting with other riders... have fun and rie safe... :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts