Benefits of eating Millet

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by HandsomeRyan, Jan 28, 2010.

1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I consider myself to be something of a culinary adventurer. I like all types of ethnic food (Thai, Indian, Ethiopian, etc.) and I'm always poking around the many local specialty grocery stores for new and different foods. While poking around at the local "MOM's Organic Market" [I'm not big on organics, I was waiting for the REI next door to open] I stumbled into the 'bulk' department. A wall full of plastic bins containing all types of trail mix, grains, beans, and flours. This looked liek the kind of place I might discover something I'd never eaten before.

[​IMG]

I first noticed they had a killer deal on steal cut oats. Anyone who has been eating rolled (instant) oatmeal is really missing out. Steel cut is really the only way to go when cooking oats. But anyway, a couple bins over I found millet. My first thought was, "Birdseed?!" but my curiosity got the better of me so i picked some up. I just finished cooking and eating some of it for lunch today and all I can say is, "Oh my God! Why are we not all eating this?!". It was delicious. The texture is somewhere between mashed potatoes and grits but maybe a little lighter. I stewed mine in a mini-crock pot for about an hour but I believe it can be cooked much faster by boiling on the stove. I just picked a few things out of the pantry and fridge to invent a recipe. Here is how I cooked them but I looks forwad to exploring this grain further.

[​IMG]

HR's Chipotle Millet Deliciousness

1/3 cup millet
    3/4 cup water
    1 chipotle pepper ground (I found some bouillion cubes made of chipotle pepper so I used that)
    1/2 tsp fresh garlic
    a pinch of salt (I left this out becasue the chipotle had salt in it)
    a pinch of dried chives

Cook millet and other ingredients until tender. I used a mini crock pot but the stove should work and be much faster.

Once cooked, top with shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper the better) and a spoonful of sour cream.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

Does anyone else here eat millet? Got recipes or cooking tips for me?

It seems to be pretty nutritious too.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Good information. Always looking to broaden my food spectrum as well.

Have you ever ate insects?

4. Smiley

Smiley New Member

HEY!! I feed my parakeet and finches that! Never thought to eat it myself! Thanks for sharing!

5. HandsomeRyan

The 'red' in red velvet cake is made of ground up beetles. And I've had tequila with worms and another with scorpions in it before.

Otherwise, no. They sell some kind of beetle pupae in a can at my local Asian food store but I haven't summoned up the courage to try it yet (I have no idea how you prepare them?)

I would be willing to try other insects if they were really delicious and not just eating them for the shock value.

6. Smiley

Smiley New Member

7. Industry_Hack

I have never owned a full face motorcycle helmet.

8. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I've been told millet is a lot like polenta. I have a hard time believing that red 40 is made of Beetles. You have a link that proves it Ryan?

10. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

my daughter can't eat gluten, so we're always eating the "weird" stuff like millet and quinoa... look it up. you can make a really good millet bread -- it's a lot like corn bread.

11. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I hope the wife don't see that . A couple of million years of evolution and she want's me to go back to eating bird seed, give me MEAT bloody red meat. Just wipe its a$$ and slide it acrost the grill.

12. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Read if you want to extend your life to cut back meat to two days a week with portions roughly the size of a deck of cards.

13. HandsomeRyan

What good is a long life if I can't eat a lot of meat though!?! :p

14. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

The trick to cooking stake is it to have it at room temp, real hot grill and sear it on bouth sides ,don't salt until after it is turned so the salt goes on the cooked side only. for me 3 - 3 1/2 min on each side for a 1" thick stake. The room temp is the thing.

15. fleeter

I love how this went from :)let's eat healthy:) to :hate:GRILL MORE MEAT:hate:

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Eating more meat is healthy. For us not them.

17. Industry_Hack

Compromise:

Attached Files:

18. fleeter

deal

19. Industry_Hack

You can't really see them, but there's some shrimp on the skewers too. I've been known to take the zucchini and squash from my garden right inside, slice it, and grill it with some garlic and olive oil.

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

The steaks dripping on skewers would definitely make the vegetables a meat product.