Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself to be something of a culinary adventurer. I like all types of ethnic food (Thai, Indian, Ethiopian, etc.) and I'm always poking around the many local specialty grocery stores for new and different foods. While poking around at the local "MOM's Organic Market" [I'm not big on organics, I was waiting for the REI next door to open] I stumbled into the 'bulk' department. A wall full of plastic bins containing all types of trail mix, grains, beans, and flours. This looked liek the kind of place I might discover something I'd never eaten before.

I first noticed they had a killer deal on steal cut oats. Anyone who has been eating rolled (instant) oatmeal is really missing out. Steel cut is really the only way to go when cooking oats. But anyway, a couple bins over I found millet. My first thought was, "Birdseed?!" but my curiosity got the better of me so i picked some up. I just finished cooking and eating some of it for lunch today and all I can say is, "Oh my God! Why are we not all eating this?!". It was delicious. The texture is somewhere between mashed potatoes and grits but maybe a little lighter. I stewed mine in a mini-crock pot for about an hour but I believe it can be cooked much faster by boiling on the stove. I just picked a few things out of the pantry and fridge to invent a recipe. Here is how I cooked them but I looks forwad to exploring this grain further.

HR's Chipotle Millet Deliciousness

1/3 cup millet
3/4 cup water
1 chipotle pepper ground (I found some bouillion cubes made of chipotle pepper so I used that)
1/2 tsp fresh garlic
a pinch of salt (I left this out becasue the chipotle had salt in it)
a pinch of dried chives

Cook millet and other ingredients until tender. I used a mini crock pot but the stove should work and be much faster.

Once cooked, top with shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper the better) and a spoonful of sour cream.

Enjoy!

Does anyone else here eat millet? Got recipes or cooking tips for me?

It seems to be pretty nutritious too.

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ever ate insects?
The 'red' in red velvet cake is made of ground up beetles. And I've had tequila with worms and another with scorpions in it before.

Otherwise, no. They sell some kind of beetle pupae in a can at my local Asian food store but I haven't summoned up the courage to try it yet (I have no idea how you prepare them?)

I would be willing to try other insects if they were really delicious and not just eating them for the shock value.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I've been told millet is a lot like polenta. I have a hard time believing that red 40 is made of Beetles. You have a link that proves it Ryan?

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
my daughter can't eat gluten, so we're always eating the "weird" stuff like millet and quinoa... look it up. you can make a really good millet bread -- it's a lot like corn bread.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I hope the wife don't see that . A couple of million years of evolution and she want's me to go back to eating bird seed, give me MEAT bloody red meat. Just wipe its a$$ and slide it acrost the grill.

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Read if you want to extend your life to cut back meat to two days a week with portions roughly the size of a deck of cards.
What good is a long life if I can't eat a lot of meat though!?! :p

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
The trick to cooking stake is it to have it at room temp, real hot grill and sear it on bouth sides ,don't salt until after it is turned so the salt goes on the cooked side only. for me 3 - 3 1/2 min on each side for a 1" thick stake. The room temp is the thing.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
I love how this went from :)let's eat healthy:) to :hate:GRILL MORE MEAT:hate:

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
You can't really see them, but there's some shrimp on the skewers too. I've been known to take the zucchini and squash from my garden right inside, slice it, and grill it with some garlic and olive oil.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts