Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new bike. Can't decide if I should go all carbon or stick with a nice alloy frame. My LBS is having a sale at all in stock bikes and carry Raleigh, Scott, Felt and Ridley. I was extremely tempted by a Scott Speedster S10 for $1300 with all Ultegra. The guy said it was better than most entry level carbon bikes in my price range, the other bike I was interested in. For all carbon, he suggested the Scott CR1 Team, which I think was for $1700.

They had a Raleigh Revenio Carbon 1.0, but the guy said the Scott Speedster S10 was way better. Unfortunately they were out of all Felt bikes in my size, and if i ordered one, I won't be getting a discount.

Tomorrow I am going to look at Trek, Giant and Specialized at some different LBS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Btw, I am upgrading from a 2011 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, which was 9speed Sora, so this time I would like something with 105 atleast. Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure which one I should go with. I've heard stories about how fragile carbon is but then it rides way better than alloy and is super light.
I still have to test ride a carbon bike. I'm just scared that I might crack a carbon frame just by going over some rough spots.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
What is your intended usage? Commuting? Weekends?

I ride an alloy frame with carbon fork; it's a plush road bike, Cannondale's Synapse series.

I think you would be best suited to look around, I've found (in my experience) at a given price point, from most manufacturers that the compenentry is similar, one may have SRAM or Shimano, etc. It really is a matter of what feels best to you. Different manufacturers, for the same frame size, use different geometry. Sounds like it is time to spend a few days testing bikes out! YES!

Of course, we all know Campagnolo feels best. . . . .

(cue the flames)

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts

(cue the flames)
:D To rich for my blood so I guess I'll never know if it's better than SRAM :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Well, so that Xela guy tells me. . .

In all seriousness, I really think in this case its a matter of what feels best to the Op as opposed to buying a brand name. A lot of people in my area are switching over to Giant, they swear it is more bang for the buck, so to speak. I figure I'll ride my road bike until it is beyond help and then look for another bike.

I can't help but want for a Bianchi in celeste built up with Super Record 11. . . :love:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kneedrachen said:
What is your intended usage? Commuting? Weekends?

I ride an alloy frame with carbon fork; it's a plush road bike, Cannondale's Synapse series.

I think you would be best suited to look around, I've found (in my experience) at a given price point, from most manufacturers that the compenentry is similar, one may have SRAM or Shimano, etc. It really is a matter of what feels best to you. Different manufacturers, for the same frame size, use different geometry. Sounds like it is time to spend a few days testing bikes out! YES!

(cue the flames)
I have a 2011 Raleigh Revenio, alloy frame carbon fork. I hate the Sora shifters/hoods. Thought about upgrading the drivetrain, but might as well get another bike.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade here at all, just trying to offer some other options. . .

Why not just upgrade the drivetrain? I think your Sora is going to be a 9 speed, if memory serves correct, and you'll probably have a compact set-up or maybe, just maybe a triple (not likely).

Why not upgrade to 105 shifters and rear cassette or for something totally different, swap over to Apex?

I agree that Sora is a bit lacking cmopared to even Tiagra, me, just me, would not be so eager to ditch the bike. But then again, my opinion is worth as much as you paid for it. . .

Like they say, "Opinions are like @$$h0le$, everyone has one and most of them stink."

YMMV.

But if that Revenio is between a 54 and 56, I'll take good care of it for you.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I'm not sure which one I should go with. I've heard stories about how fragile carbon is but then it rides way better than alloy and is super light.
I still have to test ride a carbon bike. I'm just scared that I might crack a carbon frame just by going over some rough spots.
Do you weigh more than an airplane? :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not trying to rain on your parade here at all, just trying to offer some other options. . .

Why not just upgrade the drivetrain? I think your Sora is going to be a 9 speed, if memory serves correct, and you'll probably have a compact set-up or maybe, just maybe a triple (not likely).

Why not upgrade to 105 shifters and rear cassette or for something totally different, swap over to Apex?

I agree that Sora is a bit lacking cmopared to even Tiagra, me, just me, would not be so eager to ditch the bike. But then again, my opinion is worth as much as you paid for it. . .

Like they say, "Opinions are like @$$h0le$, everyone has one and most of them stink."

YMMV.

But if that Revenio is between a 54 and 56, I'll take good care of it for you.
Initially upgrading was the plan. But then, I paid $770 for my bike back in Dec. and I sold it 2 days ago for $680.

Might as well put all the money I would have used to upgrade it and get a brand spanking new bike. Plus I got my money's worth from the Revenio.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I prefer Giant over Trek, but at that price range I think Trek has a lot more to offer.

The 2013 Trek Madone 2.1 is for $1300 at my LBS. He didnt have any in stock though. I wonder if that is Treks answer to the CAAD.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I don't want to get a carbon vs alloy war going, but I wouldn't worry about carbon frames being delicate in any way. Any frame material can fail at any given time. I ride my Colnago on old brick roads all the time and have hit some pretty good pot holes and have not had any frame issues. I know guys that have dumped their carbon bikes several times and have no frame cracks.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I have the scott speedster S20 and love it. It has CR1 forks front and rear. Just blew past a hairpin turn into a fence last sunday and crashed hard. I thought the bike would be toast. Judging by sounds I heard and how I felt as I laid on my back with the wind knocked out of me.

Picking up the pieces... mostly my itouch, Edge500, camera, wallet that flew out of my underseat bag... using a allen wrench to align the handlebar with the wheel, and re centering my seat... I was back on my way home. The bike was in perfect shape other than the left brake/shift unit was really chewed up. My buddy said I'll bet it won't shift right. But did.. II crashed hard and thought for sure my front forks would have busted. But no issues. Myself if I were buying I'd go all CR1, but if the money savings is worth it to you can't go wrong with the Speedster. I suspect the S20 is a step down from the S10? your considering? I'm not familiar with the differences. But I'd love to have a CR1.

·
Registered
38 Posts
fez_ said:
Is your CR1 Comp with 105? Did you swap it out?

The CR1 Comp my LBS has is Tiagra. CR1 Team is all 105.
I have the 2011 model with all 105. Upgraded the crank to a 105 also because I was having issues with the one it came with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
fez_ said:
Is your CR1 Comp with 105? Did you swap it out?

The CR1 Comp my LBS has is Tiagra. CR1 Team is all 105.
I have the 2011 model with 105. I was having issues with crank it came with so i upgraded the crank to a 105.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all,
New member here. In the process of buying my first road bike. My budget is 1000-1500. I have looked at many bikes over the past month. I am liking the 2013 trek madone 2.1. Also looked at Scott, Jamis, Cannondale..... Will take any and all advice. Been reading the forum for the past two hours. Seems like a great bunch of people.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts