Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a hybrid fitness bike, who makes the best carbon fiber frame? I know from a LBS that they said Giant hand crafts or makes their frames from scratch is this true?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Neither of your questions make a lot of sense.

Best frame for what? If your LBS told you that Giant "hand crafts" carbon fiber frames "from scratch", you need a new LBS.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
most of the high end carbon frames are coming out of Taiwan. Some companies still make their own frames in-house but it's the exception and it could be argued that they aren't really all that much better than the Taiwan frames.

Giant for example, has a manufactuing facility somewhere in Asia I think. They are very large and make alot of frames for other companies, who then badge them with their stickers and sell them as their own. Giant does not "hand craft" their bikes any more than any other company does. Some U.S.& Canadian companies that make their own bikes in house are Parlee, Guru, Serotta, and some of Trek's high end stuff.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Time draws their own carbon fibre tubing. So does BMC. Cyfac uses pre-made carbon tubes, but cuts and joins them (and Kevlar-wraps the BB junction) to your specifications.

There are a lot of carbon bikes out there. It would be impossible to say which was "best".

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I wouldn't call a carbon fiber tube "drawn", but I'm not sure what you would call that process. Trek's OCLV process uses an air bladder of some sort and they lay it up in molds, with the weave specific to the properties they want the tubing to have.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wouldn't call a carbon fiber tube "drawn", but I'm not sure what you would call that process. Trek's OCLV process uses an air bladder of some sort and they lay it up in molds, with the weave specific to the properties they want the tubing to have.
Well, the carbon fibres are woven together to form tubes at TIME. They go through a machine that resembles that used to draw aluminum tubes, so I wasn't sure what else to call it. Woven, I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts