Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Synapse 4 back in May. I have decided for a XMas present to myself a nice upgrade is in order. Two places to start is the FSA crank or the Aksium wheelset. Which would you do first? A Sram Red crank or a set of Williams 30x?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The first question I would ask is "How do I want to make my bike different and why?" Do you need to carry more to use it as a commuter? Do you want it to go faster? What problem are you having that you want to solve? What annoys you that you want to eliminate? What do you need to make your bike more practical or comfortable?

I found that having a plan on what you want the bike to be after the upgrade before you start keeps expectations realistic.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Going by what your telling us, the wheelset will have the biggest improvement of than anything else on the entire bike.

But why the Williams rims? Your only saving about 100 grams per wheel, hardly enough to justify the price. Easton E90 SLX cost the same as the Williams it weights another 100 grams per wheel less; see: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1034339_-1_1582500_20000_400934

Or these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/21...-Wheelsets/Easton-EA90-TT--Wheelset--2010.htm

Or these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/22...heelsets/Profile-Armada-30-Alloy-Wheelset.htm

The Easton at Performance is the best deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my main concern right now is weight savings. The Synapse in the magazines is reported to be somewhere in the 17 to 18 pound range. My bike weighed in at 19.25 pounds with 20 year old Look pedals. My goal is to attempt some Colorado mountain pass' next summer.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
right, so by going with the Easton E90 SLX you would save about 3/4th of a pound of rotating weight, not to mention a bunch of money on the sale price. Whereas with the Williams you would only save about a 1/4th a pound and save no money.

Then later when you get some more money do the crank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, those are some great prices. I would prefer the Easton 90's, but is there a weight restriction on these wheels. I go at about 187 give or take a pound.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Wow, those are some great prices. I would prefer the Easton 90's, but is there a weight restriction on these wheels. I go at about 187 give or take a pound.
Try the other Easton E90's at Price Point, their weight limit I believe is higher because their not the SLX, but those SLX prices are fantastic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, those prices are great. I just looked in the Colorado Cyclist catalog. They want 1,000 for that wheelset (SLX). I'll keep my eyes pealed for a sale in the future. I can't do it right now. My fun coupons have to go toward a planer for my shop right now.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Yes, those prices are great. I just looked in the Colorado Cyclist catalog. They want 1,000 for that wheelset (SLX). I'll keep my eyes pealed for a sale in the future. I can't do it right now. My fun coupons have to go toward a planer for my shop right now.
Fun coupons? That's funny! I have a hobby budget, but that budget includes all my hobbies not just cycling, so if one hobby takes all the money that month to bad about the others! Most of my hobby money goes into my cars, so I got to be really conscious about saving some for the bikes. I have a bent wheel on my Trek 660 and the cars have been sucking me dry this summer so the wheel will remain bent for awhile, but I have 8 other bikes to ride so I'm not concerned. I have to have a pro look at the wheel because it's bent more then my abilities can handle, hopefully it can be saved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts