Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a big meal is out of the question, but riding on an empty stomach is just as bad. What's a good balance? Do I want primarily carbs?

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I'm not a big carb or protein person, I'm hungry person.

That being said I'm a commuter, short burst and short trips, so I don't need to carb load or anything. What type of riding are you doing?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
A good mix of simple and complex carbs is what you need. Depending on how long you'll be out, you'll want to top up with some more carbs, plus you need to think about replacing fluids and possibly electrolytes.

Man, when we were kids, we could ride our BMX bikes for hours, with nothing to drink but maybe a soda.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
I have found, for me , a bagel with peanut butter and jam (not jelly, preference thing) and a banana with a GU before a 50 miler or less works well. I also like steel cut oats if I have an hour or so before I ride. *** A bit of a hijack follows***Another trick I have found (and might have read here at twospke) that works extremely well, for me, WHILE riding is setting the timer on my Garmin to go off every 15 minutes. When the timer goes off I'm sip'n on water or which ever sports drink/electrolyte replacement I have. I have learned on long hot rides(more so when it's hot but I always take some now) I can't just have water I have to have electrolyte replacement fluids. Before I drank only when I felt thirsty and would gulp a lot down at one time vs taking in smaller amounts regularly and staying on top of the hydration game. It seems to work well for me.

"Keep the carbohydrates and sugar down and your sandwich healthier by substituting jam made with natural fruits and no sugar."

Read more: The Carbohydrates In A Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich | LIVESTRONG.COM

"Energy: Oatmeal has a good number of carbohydrates, and while in some circles carbs..."

More here: Health benefits of oatmeal - by jharmon - Helium

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
I have, and no there is nothing wrong with one before a ride or workout. You can have one either way pre or post ride/workout. From what I know a banana has little to no protein for post ride recovery, although it won't hurt, potassium is what I like even though there are better sources to get it. It's just what I like :)

If there other things I can learn or should know, please educate me!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I think the issue with bananas was that some folks had digestion problems with them if they consumed them while riding. But I can't find a reliable source to back that up now.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Bananas seem good, I understand some people get stomach issues, but all and all it seems to benefit riders.

Potassium and Health

When I was a kid we got kicked out Saturday morning at 9, cartoons ended then, we were told to not come back till lunch, but we rarely did, we would just ride and ride, man I miss being a kid sometimes.

I do enjoy reaching stuff and voting, but not more than I enjoyed being a kid.

Edit: buying tobacco is pretty cool, also renting a car.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
When I was a kid we got kicked out Saturday morning at 9, cartoons ended then, we were told to not come back till lunch, but we rarely did, we would just ride and ride, man I miss being a kid sometimes.

I do enjoy reaching stuff and voting, but not more than I enjoyed being a kid.

Edit: buying tobacco is pretty cool, also renting a car.
I'm lost...confuzzled

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
Today since I was called late to ride it was 2 cups of Dunkin Donuts coffee a quick Cliff bar a GU and roll. It was only a 33 miler so it wasn't to bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts