best new Raleigh

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Oneway, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

I like what Raleigh has been doing to re-discover their identity.

I have a 2008 Oneway fixed/ss all dressed up for touring with Brooks saddle, leather-like tape with wood plugs, BRG paint, fenders, bell and 35c rando tires, all standard. I had to add a leather tool bag hanging off the B17.

The Clubman looks like a nice touring bike.

Raleigh-England had similar sweet retro-classic touring bikes but now seems to be pushing me-too race and bmx. I hope they don't drop the classic move in the US.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Very nice looking ride! I especially like the saddle and tape. Great job!

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I've got a Detour Deluxe that I enjoy greatly. If I had money and storage space I'd own a OneWay and a Clubman too.

4. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

Xela,
    Ah, shucks it weren't nuthin....actually wasn't. I gratiously accepted it as a gift, store bought as pictured, stock.

The aged B17 is fantastic; the bars too narrow, just like my circa 1980 Raleigh Pro. The lug-less steel frame is really a cyclo cross frame paint British racing green (cool) and the cantilever brakes are great but not exactly classic.

The combination of fixed gear, where I have to keep pedaling, and the big 35c tires, slamming over icy roads and potholes gives a fantastic feeling of power and determination to forge ahead.

Hey, anyone concerned Raleigh has multiple personalities and the UK may infect the US? The UK dropped the cool retro-classic stuff.

5. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

1-way, I also own a Raleigh One-Way along with a Raleigh Rush Hour and have to commend Raleigh on their line of bikes. They are interesting, well spec'd and well built.

6. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

Mootsguy,
    Notice the front sprocket has 4 or 5 teeth less than fully formed? Didn't seem to effect performance, they were gradually less formed then, gradually fully formed. My LBS checked their other 1oneways and they were the same. They did make the swap to a new, proper sprocket.

7. Mootsguy

I actually changed the chain ring the same day I bought mine so I never really noticed the flaw.

I also ordered a carbon fork thinking that the stock fork would be rather harsh, turns out I still have the original fork on the bike.

8. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

I don't think the ride is harsh probably due to the 35c tires but I'm not a fan of the steep headtube angle. The wheel flops over easily and it is hard to ride no hands. Steering is reasonably quick as a result of the cyclo-cross originated frame which is fine. If I replaced the fork I'd be tempted to try one with a more old fashioned, longer rake.

Why'd you change the sprocket and to what? I ride medium, rolling New England roads.

9. Mootsguy

I changed the chainring because most of what I ride on the One Way is flat city streets.

10. craisin

craisin New Member

I have 2 Raleighs one is a Team12 and the other is a 21speed grey mountain bike.
    I also have a USA made frame that has a good percentage aluminum that a mate left here and another mate is interested in it