Two Spoke Forums banner

Best Online Route Mapping?????

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  imagination 
#1 ·
I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 that I love. But it has no base maps so it doesn't have the funcionality of the Edge series of GPS units. That being said, I have been able to create my own "courses" with track points to create my own personal "turn by turn" mapping while on rides. It works great!!!! I use Bike Route Toaster for all my mapping, cue sheets and tcx downloads.

However, I am always looking for the newest (and best) ways to create routes. Does anyone have a good online (or even software based) tool that they use for creating bike routes? I have used mapmyride before but don't seem to get the same versatility that I get with bikeroutetoaster.

Ride on!!!!!

#6 ·
Hey, this is Cullen, one of the creators of Ride with GPS -- I saw traffic hitting us from this site and wanted to say hello :) Thanks for the honourable mention Grape Ape! We are working hard at getting the rest of our stuff rock solid and rounded out. Our new release has been up for a week, and we have been getting great feedback from our regular users on broken functionality, unexpected stuff etc etc. We should be pretty well rounded with the new site here by Monday, when we plan on emailing all our users and posting all over the forums. Just wanted to give ourselves a grace period to fix the expected bugs you get when you rewrite a ton of code!

We'd love for any of you all that are used to some of the other sites to come over and check us out, let us know what you like about the other sites and help us improve ours to better meet your needs. We want your input, because we want to design the best site of this kind.

Hope to see you all around.

#8 ·
Hey, this is Cullen, one of the creators of Ride with GPS -- I saw traffic hitting us from this site and wanted to say hello :) Thanks for the honourable mention Grape Ape! We are working hard at getting the rest of our stuff rock solid and rounded out. Our new release has been up for a week, and we have been getting great feedback from our regular users on broken functionality, unexpected stuff etc etc. We should be pretty well rounded with the new site here by Monday, when we plan on emailing all our users and posting all over the forums. Just wanted to give ourselves a grace period to fix the expected bugs you get when you rewrite a ton of code!

We'd love for any of you all that are used to some of the other sites to come over and check us out, let us know what you like about the other sites and help us improve ours to better meet your needs. We want your input, because we want to design the best site of this kind.

Hope to see you all around.

Cullen....I have actually been visiting your site often in the last couple of days. I really haven't used it enough to give you any real good feedback but I will say the one thing I really like a lot is the elevation charts. Those are probably the most important thing for me when planning a ride and yours have been the best and most accurate I have found. When I am out training, I want to know I am going to get my hill climbing in and the elevation charts really help a lot. When I get a chance to really kick the tires of your site, I will give you plenty of feedback....but I have to say you got a good thing going. Keep up the good work and I will spread the word.

Thanks to everyone for their responses....

#10 ·
I haven't used mapmyride in a while because of the advertising that I find annoying. You don't need to have a GPS unit to use bikeroutetoaster, but you get more out of it if you do own a GPS system. Lately I have been using ridewithgps.com and I have to say that it works much better. Its less choppy and I find it elevation information to be much more accurate. I own the Garmin Edge 705 so I use ridewithgps to create GPX files that I then upload to my garmin. They appear as saved rides and I am off on a blind ride with little worry about getting lost. I also always know how roughly how much elevation I am going to be tackling, which is important for me when I am training. Also, ridewithgps has better cue sheets and it is much easier to edit.

Hope this helps a little.....

#11 ·
whyeyebike: thanks for the positive praise! We are still here churning away, got a little slowed down with the start of school, and it didn't help out that I have had to rip apart and rebuild my VW motor over the last few weekends :\

Zack has been working on direct garmin communication/synching and will hopefully have something cool here soon. I have been working on PDF creation (for premium accounts) and better export options. General improvements have happened all around.

Additionally, we are thinking of renaming...people keep asking about needing a GPS unit, so our name is currently a misnomer as you do not need one to enjoy our site!

See y'all around.

#16 ·
Didn't want this thread to get forgotten as it's something that probably a lot of us will use.

Been mapping a new MTB fire-road ride for this weekend, and I'm loving ridewithgps.com more and more. Especially like that the elevation profiles seem to be pretty accurate. Gives you a good idea of how much climbing you're getting into. Plus, I just realized lately that you can actually place your mouse on the elevation profile and see which parts of the route are gonna be the toughest. Also, and this is the best part, it's free! Thanks, Cullen!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.