Best place to find an obscure fork?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by nh_district, Feb 27, 2011.

1. nh_district

nh_district New Member

I can't start my next project for lack of a fork. What I'm looking for is a threadless road style fork, but for a 20" wheel, with a 1" steerer tube.

This one would be perfect if it was 20":

Nashbar Carbon Threaded Road Fork : Deals & Discounts on Road Bike Forks From Nashbar
    [​IMG]

I found the Answer Scythe Carbon (Amazon.com: Answer Scythe Mini 20" Carbon Fork - 1", Threadless: Sports & Outdoors) which isn't what I'm going for style-wise, but would work as far as getting this thing put together. It's $200, which would suck, but I can deal with it if I have to. The bigger problem is they specify a 100-135lb weight limit :confused:

I'm not too concerned what it's made of, Cr Mo, aluminum, whatever, but I want something with some rake. I guess if worse comes to worst I can go with a straight BMX style fork, but it would look pretty stupid.

Any suggestions on where I might find what I'm looking for? Tried the usual avenues, ebay, google, etc. Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, maybe some phone calls I could make the old fashioned way. Thanks for any help!

Here's a picture of the waiting patient:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Check your LBS. They probably won't have it in stock, but can order one from QBP. When I worked at a bike shop, I was shocked at the variety of odd forks they kept on hand, so I know they're available.

3. nh_district

nh_district New Member

Didn't even consider that, but it sounds like it's worth a shot. I'll stop in there next weekend and see what they have to say.

Never heard of QBP; wish I could sneak a peek into their website, but she's locked up pretty tight.

4. Industry_Hack

They supply directly to bike shops. I have a friend that just got a job at their newest location, so they happened to be on my mind. When you consider all the odd configurations in recumbent bikes, your chances of finding what you're looking for suddenly look much better.

5. nh_district

nh_district New Member

Thanks man, looks like I might be in business! Found one that *should* work, and yes it's intended for a recumbent. It's threaded, but the steerer tube is so long I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting the threads off anyway. So I'm gambling on it a little, but I'm fine with that. We'll find out when it comes in next week.

6. Industry_Hack

Sweet! Glad I could help.

7. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Just turn that fork around.

badly bent fork backwards = fork with pleasing rake. ;)