Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eye doctor told me I have to wear glasses (what the hell does he know, If I could see him, I would kick his a$$) and I was wondering if there were people out there that have purchased cycling specific prescription glasses, and if so; what did they get? Where? and What do you think? Thanks ahead of time for your help!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Oakley has a prescription program. Details are on their website. I have a friend who is looking into them. If he orders some, I'll let you know what he thinks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually checked out Oakley's website last night and was actually surprised by the prices of the lenses.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big time money!!!! I am going to keep looking. Still not sure if I even need them for cycling. Doctor said they would really improve my "comfort" when driving so I figure if he is right, they would probably improve my comfort while riding.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the advantage to bicycle specific glasses? Rather than wearing regular glasses.
Glasses don't necessarily have to be bicycle specific, more sporting specific. There is no way I would wear my current prescription glasses on the road. They would be destroyed by the time I got to the end of my driveway. What I am looking for is a pair of sunglasses that I can get in a prescription that would be good for cycling. They would need to have durable lens and have good ventiltion. That is something my current prescription glasses do not have. I currently ride with a pair of "Optical Nerve" sunglasses. The kind that change tint based on light. Since I ride on roads through the woods, there perfect for the changing light conditions. Now if my doctor is right, and glasses will improve my vision while driving, I want to see what they will do for me while I am riding....assuming I don't have to pay an arm and a leg to get new glasses.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Older topic, but i have rudy project sunglasses with inserts. Less than $200. I have a bad astigmatism, and the only way I could get lenses that wrap and keep crap out of my eyes, and stay on my face were to get these kind. I play softball in them, do triathlons in them, shoot and snowboard in them (love polarized lenses!) Great glasses, and I can remove the insert and wear them with my contacts for regular sunglasses - a major bonus and savings for me.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
I have to wear glasses all the time now (contacts don't work for me because of dry eye) and I've been using transition glasses for about five years now. When photochromic lens were first introduced, they sucked and were always partially tinted. Now they work so well that I don't have to deal with:

~ lost clip-ons
~ unavailable alternate pairs of glasses
~ having the wrong glasses on​

The only down side is that I still need clip-ons in the car because the wind shield has UV protection so the auto tinting does work there. So I keep a pair of clip-ons behind my visor to grab at a moment's notice. I doesn't hurt that I live in the cloudy northwest too. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts