Best rear pannier for commuting?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Mkiernan, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Mkiernan

Mkiernan New Member

I am new to biking and have a hybrid bike I'd like to begin using to commute to work. I need a way to take a change of clothes with me and for them to stay dry. I would also like to take some gear and bike/camp.

I don't mind spending extra to get great quality and something that will last. Does anyone have recommendations for what kind of pannier to get?

Thanks!

2. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Two brands popular with bicycle tourists are Arkel and Ortlieb . Both will keep your stuff dry, though by different technology. Arkel bags have a heavy duty cordura body with exterior covers and interior dry bags. Ortlieb has a waterproof exterior. Both make excellent, top of the line products. You couldn't go wrong with bags either company.

Both my wife and I use Arkel bags for touring. Arkel products have a lifetime, transferrable, no receipt required guarantee. I personally prefer the Arkel interior design for organizing things and believe the Arkel mounting system is easier to use and is more robust than Ortlieb's ... but others might (and probably will) disagree. :)

Here's my bike with Arkel bags

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I'm in the market myself, I've been carrying a satchel for some time, but I need more space than what I have.

4. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Dean,

We chatted about the Topeak MTX bags I few weeks back. Here's a link to that thread for those who might be interested in extra carrying capacity, but don't need full sized touring panniers.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

There is also a spray you can get to add water resistance to any fabric. I have used it on my panniers. It works with anything and doesn't change the color. It is mainly for tents and the like, but I have used it on hats, and lots of things.

6. Mkiernan

Mkiernan New Member

Thanks everyone!

7. momule

momule New Member

For around town use I use my rear rack and a basket on top that is now wiretired to the rack. It holds useful things for around town use and a grocery bag if I need it. It gets covered with a spider type of elastic thing with hooks to keep stuff from flying out. In my humble opinion, panniers are only for long distance trekking and they're a bit more hardcore and a pain in the ass than I want them to be. A strong back rack can also carry several side baskets as well for added capacity. Sure they look dorky but who cares; they give you more space to hang blinkys off of so you don't get run over.

If I want more room to carry things I have a Burley Nomad trailer that I absolutely love. It holds 100 lbs, is on two wheels behind the bike, and is almost invisible on the bike as I'm riding as long as the load is balanced over the two wheels. I can take everything I need, including a cooler, tent, etc for an overnight on a trip. Most bike trailers are made to carry a kid or two on a trail but the Burley Nomad and Flatbed are made to actually haul stuff in a grand style with no issues ever. It is real gear made as well or better than your tow bike.

8. botha

botha New Member

Hi ,..
    IIRC Topeak do a range of bags that attach to their own racks with some sort of clippy mechanism,..

thanks,..

9. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

i just purchased a Topeak rack and trunk bag/pannier. We'll see how they do.