Best road tire for value

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by KC-Steve, Jan 29, 2010.

1. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

Hi all,

I've been shopping around for road tires, 27x1-1/4, and was wondering if anyone has strong opinions. I am just a weekend rider. I didn't want the cheap stuff and didn't want to spend a lot either.

Do I need to consider tpi, wire-bead rim, etc? What brand tire seems to be most reliable? Is Michelin a good one?

Thanks for all replies,
    Steve

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

What do you consider to be a lot of money for a tire? As I'm sure you've seen- tires range from about $10 up to well over $150. I usually ride name brand tires in the $20-$30 range and they work fine for casual cycling.

3. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

Yes, I have been shopping around and am thinking in the ballpark you mention. Have a favorite brand?

Steve

4. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I'm partial to Continental tires myself.

5. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

Schwalbe Marathon 27" Tire

The schwalbe Marathon tires are really good for urban/touring/commuting. These tires are almost bullet proof. Perfect for any daily rider they can take punishments. They cost around $25.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Just get some cheap CST rubber. You're not likely to notice any difference if you're only a casual rider.

7. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

Hi IH, I don't really know much about Cheng Shin Rubber, whether the quality is good or not, but the price difference between them and Continental or Scwalbe tires is not good enough to warrant personal injury if they fail at the wrong time. You could call me 'anal' when it comes to quality auto tires. I check the date code, made in USA code, and even the speed rating. I've had some close calls after buying auto tires on special and then have the tread separate on the highway during rush hour. As it turned out, the tires were 'old' when I bought them. So I am sorry to say that I would prefer to chose a quality high-priced tire over saving a couple of dollars. But thanks for your input.

Steve

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. Industry_Hack

A bicycle tire is not the same as a car tire. Unless you can get your bicycle up to 80+ MPH. Cheng Shin is the largest manufacturer of tires and tubes. They also own Maxxis brand.

No bicycle tire is going to fail on you, certainly not catastrophically.

9. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

bike tires

LOL Nobody talks about how much money they saved when they are on the side of a road fixing a flat. You Should always buy the best tires you can afford for your car and your bike. Your tires are the single most important component brakes coming in a close second. I like Schwalbe they work for me but you can't go wrong with Michelin,Continental or Victtoria tires.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. Industry_Hack

Unless you're comparing something like a Gatorskin, I've never seen any correlation between the price of the tire and its resistance to flatting. Thorns and glass aren't averse to one brand over another.

11. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Well I will stick my .02 in. Last year I baught a set of Michelin City trecking tires with Protek + $28 the first day I ran them I had a flat :mad:, so much for the protec + :rolleyes: . Thay make a simlar tire Michelin Pilot that has Protec Max $47 Maybe I should have spent the extra $$ :rolleyes: I know I will go with the Pilots next set.

12. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

I agree Jagonz. After looking around closer I think Schwalbe Marathon's reputation for being "bullet proof" is what I will ultimately purchase. :) I think I read something about a Kevlar belt, maybe?

Thanks,
    Steve

13. peazweag

peazweag New Member

Panaracer Paselas are excellent tires also in the $20-30 range.