Best Singlespeed under $700

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by crazyeight, Oct 27, 2009.

1. crazyeight

crazyeight Guest

I want to get a singlespeed, not fixed, as a commuter.

So many to choose from so I am looking for opnions on if you wanted a singlespeed and had $700 to spend what would be at the top of your list.

2. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

That's an easy one. The Wabi Cycles Classic. I'm ordering one this week, after much searching.

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

For commuting you'll want big tires. I'd suggest Kilo Wide Tire or the Fantom Cross Uno.

IMHO two of the best bang-for-your-buck SS commuter bikes available today.

4. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

I guess that it depends on what the commute entails. If wide tires and racks are more important than ride quality, then the ones you listed should be fine.

The Wabi is not for everyone. It's not a cookie-cutter, generic cheap bike. While it's a good value for the price, it was never intended to appeal to the value shopper the way BikesDirect bikes do. Rather than spec it to meet a certain price point, it was designed from the frame up to be a package that doesn't compromise.

5. HandsomeRyan

Not trying to be rude, it's late and I've been up all night but -The term "commuter bike" generally means a bike capable of larger (often more puncture resistant) tires and racks to carry stuff. Focus on utility rather than aesthetics.

Why do you think this bike would offer superior "ride quality" for a commute? Tight "track" geometry is great for the track but it offers no real advantage for utility cyclists such as commuters.

FWIW- I wouldn't buy one of those Wasabi bikes simply because they don't list specifics for their components. Who made the "sealed bearing hubs" and rims or "cold forged aluminum crank"? At least BD is up front about what shiny bits are being bolted to their frames.

I'd like to add to the list- the Raleigh One Way is a tight little unit. Brooks saddle, canti brakes, fenders, forward facing dropouts.

[​IMG]

6. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

I suppose that before we go any further, the OP should clarify his post. Is he really looking for a commuter bike, or is he after a single speed for commuting?

7. crazyeight

crazyeight Guest

I am looking for a commuter bike to get from home to work on the road only, no sidewalks or trails. So it needs to be a quick light bike. For simplicity I want a singlespeed.

8. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

So racks and fenders, or a stripped-down, lightweight bike?

9. crazyeight

crazyeight Guest

Stripped down. However, the roads from work and home are quite ghetto so even though it's road only, I need a bike that can handle a rough road.

10. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

Then I'll stand by my suggestion. Read what Richard has written about the wheelset on the Wabi, then decide if they'll be strong enough for you. You can also contact him for more info.

11. HandsomeRyan

Obviously the 2 of us are not going to agree. I'm speaking as a guy who doesn't own a car and bike commutes everywhere he goes. The smallest tire I own is a 28mm on my "road bike" and the rest of my bikes run larger tires than that. 23mm tires are great for speed but you will get flats with them 10 times as often as running commuter appropriate tires. Changing a tire when you are already late for work is not fun.

Commuting is not about speed, commuting is about utility.

This thread has 232 pages of pictures of bikes ridden by people who actually commute and you'll notice the vast majority of them
    • run large tires
    • have relaxed geometries
    • run racks and panniers
    • have fenders

Good luck whatever you decide.

12. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

No one has to agree. You've latched on to the word "commute", which is fine. He just wants a simple bike to get from point A to point B and back again. Read what he's posted.

As to 23mm tires getting flats ten times as often as other tires, that's pure conjecture.

13. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

You should really read this page. It covers the frame geometry and material pretty well. Oh, hubs are JoyTech, cranks are Andel.

14. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

What about oso bikes?

osobike.com

Based on the specs. how do you think it compared to the Wabi?

15. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

Red Delicious to Granny Smith. :D There's nothing inherently wrong with the OSO, but it comes down to personal preference. You're not getting much for a $200 premium over a BikesDirect bike though.

It's a steel single speed with a coaster brake, and it seems like an effort to capitalize on the popularity of single speed bikes. There's nothing special about it, and it's probably a perfectly functional bike. Considering that Big 5 sells coaster brake cruisers for $99, you have to wonder what the margin is on this bike. And the "Buy Now" all over the site is annoying.

As far as comparing it to the Wabi, that's not totally fair, since they're aimed at different buyers. I read the whole Wabi site, spoke with Richard on the phone for over an hour, and then spent some time Googling the company. Wabi Cycles are designed by someone that has been riding fixed gear bikes since the 70's, and has extensive experience in product development. He freely admits that he's not concerned about sales volume. Rather, it appears that he designed a bike for someone that appreciates a quality build and doesn't mind paying a bit extra for a better bike. Does that make sense?

16. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

He's added a page with the components list.

By the way, the Raleigh is a sweet looking bike. Do you think that the blue paint and honey saddle/bar tape would look better with black components, or stick with the silver?

17. TxCyclist

I'm in the market for a new singlespeed commuter and was eying the KHS Urban Uno. Just under $700 MSRP.

KHS Bicycles :: Flite 100

[​IMG]

18. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

That frame hurts my eyes, and makes my aesthetic sensibility weep. Other than that, it would be a nice bike. Just an ugly frame.

19. TxCyclist

I like it. You just don't like the hard slant top tube frame style?

20. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

The proportions are too much like a BMX or MTB frame. I like my top tube more horizontal, and my seat stays more vertical. But the color scheme is sweet.