Best smart bike trainers (Wahoo, Tacx, Elite, Kinetic, ???)

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by fantapol, Oct 2, 2020.

1. fantapol

fantapol Member

Looking to invest into direct drive bike trainer for less than $900 and ideally getting some discount which lowers the price to $700 range..
    I looked at REI and I think their 20%off coupon should be coming, but also not sure if it can be applied for trainers...

My main must haves are:
    - direct drive able to support 10 speed cassette
    - able to support 142 Thru axle
    - min slope simulation 15 deg
    - be able to connect to Rouvy (that’s what I plan to use)
    - good power measurement but I’m ok even with 3% accuracy

So far I’ve been reading and watching reviews and narrowed down between
    Wahoo Core
    Elite Suito (or Direto XR)
    Tacx Flux 2

Any recommendations on which one you like most and what’s the best place to get one (any discounts available)?

Thanks!

fpl1 likes this.
  2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

It's kind of funny. Everyone I know personally and @Merlincustom here owns a Wahoo. Seems to me they are the industry standard by which others are judged. I own one and have had it for serval year now with absolutely no issues,

fpl1 likes this.

3. fantapol

fantapol Member

I agree. I see Wahoo as the leader in this area, but looking at specs and you tube videos.. looks like other options are just as good... just not as much buzz and user feedback, hence reaching here to see if any non wahoo users.

Dos_Ruedas and rola643 like this.
  4. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I’d look at dcrainmaker. He usually has a link to some discounts. I just got the new Kickr. So far so good after a month. I’m on TrainerRoad and FulGaz.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and fantapol like this.
  5. fantapol

fantapol Member

Thanks for the tip. I’ll take a look

6. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Guess I’m in minority. I have the tacx flux. Like it a lot too. I used to use an elite fluid dumb trainer and they are great too and much cheaper. Finally broke down to join the Zwift cool kids last year.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  7. fantapol

fantapol Member

Is that flux of flux 2? They do look cool.
    I’m probably gonna try rouvy as it’s much cheaper than zwift (due to family sharing option)

8. fpl1

Actually flux s technically. I think only difference is the 2 can simulate grades. I didn’t really see a need for that since zwift makes it plenty hard Enough when climbing. Think the S is cheaper too but that’s relative I guess.

9. fantapol

fantapol Member

I though flux s also simulates grades but “only” to 10%
    How does zwift make it tougher for climbing?

10. fpl1

Maybe it does. I only have used it on zwift. Did one of the Innsbrook climbs and it got really hard going up the mountains. Doesn’t seem that far off what a steep or long climb would feel like on the actual road. It cranks up the resistance for sure. Plenty for my non-climbing abilities.

Dos_Ruedas and rola643 like this.